Theft Deterrent System

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Theft Deterrent System

Post by Rockrz »

OK, so today I stopped to get a Subway sanditch for lunch and when I came back out my truck wouldn't start....due to some issue with the Theft Deterrent System.

It did this one before (couple of months ago) and I simply played with the OE alarm control on my keychain, and it started right up.

This time though, that didn't work and I finally gave up and call the Roadside Assistance number in the owner's manual thinking maybe they can tell me how to disable the Theft Deterrent System.

So, by the time I talked to them (waste of time as they said have it towed to my local, broke, GM dealer) it was a little more than 10 minutes and the truck started, and has been starting just fine ever since

Funny thing about this is, my SES light had come back on about a week ago (I posted about this in this thread: http://www.s-10crewcab.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7091 ) and I hadn't gotten around to reading the code to see what it was...

But, after today's event with the Theft Deterrent System the SES light went off once the truck started again and it has not come back on at all.

When I got home, I plugged in my scanner but there were no codes.
I always heard that codes were stored for up to so many starts, but maybe Theft Deterrent System issues don't throw codes, I dunno.

Anywho, anybody ever figure out a way to permanently disable the Theft Deterrent System ???

I'd rather do that then get stuck someday when whatever issue this is decides to become permanent
[size=75]I'm drivin a...2003 Chevy S10 Ex Cab LS 2WD, Auto, 4.3L, Vin Code X[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

I can't help you with the theft deterrent system issue but, the SES light may be little more than a coincidence. Some codes will clear themselves after some number of clean starts (starts where the code isn't triggered) like the very common loose gas cap one.

Also, what you describe as "some issue with the Theft Deterrent System" may involve interruption of power from the battery. Disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and reconnecting will clear/reset most SES codes.

Now that I think about it, I've never heard of this "Theft Deterrent System" issue before. Maybe I've just been lucky or maybe you've got a bad battery connection? :?:
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

No, I have a brand new battery and the connections are perfectly clean
as I made sure they were when I installed the new 800cca battery.

Only thing I know to do at this point is go back to the dealer where
I bought the alarm keypad for my key ring (truck didn't have one
when I bought it) and see if they need to re-program it, or something.

All I know is something isn't right with this system.
[size=75]I'm drivin a...2003 Chevy S10 Ex Cab LS 2WD, Auto, 4.3L, Vin Code X[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

I guess it's not the battery then.

Before you bring it back to dealer, you might give reprogramming your remote a try yourself. But, I believe the remote is a "it works or it doesn't" kinda thing. It won't sorta work sometimes if it's programmed incorrectly.

Although I shoulda learned not to offer suggestions after the response to my first. :roll:
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Any suggestions are appreciated because when strnage things happen like this, I figure everything that's related should be looked at 'till the problem is solved.

Rather than jackin with this myself, I'll just tell the dealer there's something wrong with their part/programming since I'm having this issue after paying them good money to set this up.

That'll at least get me in the door without having to pay diagnostics up front. Then, if they find something else is needed we can go from there.
PGH04ZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by PGH04ZR5 »

i ran into the same thing a few years ago, i drove a 98 s-10 and my dad a 02, if we got our keys mixed up and tried them in the wrong cars it would trigger the fuel cut out, which lasted 15 minutes, after that the truck would start right up
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Hmmm, I just found out that some of the tuner software (you run on your PC, not hand held) can disable the Theft Deterrent System.

If that's true, I think I'll do that since I'm planning on buying some
tuner software anyway.

And, to help keep from getting my truck stolen...I may do what I did
on my old '79 chevy truck years ago...rig up a hidden switch inside
the cab that cuts power from the starter.
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Rockrz wrote:Any suggestions are appreciated because when strnage things happen like this, I figure everything that's related should be looked at 'till the problem is solved.

Rather than jackin with this myself, I'll just tell the dealer there's something wrong with their part/programming since I'm having this issue after paying them good money to set this up.

That'll at least get me in the door without having to pay diagnostics up front. Then, if they find something else is needed we can go from there.
So, if the Theft Deterrent System won't allow the truck to start...
Is the remore supposed to be able to overide this so it can start?

I'm still trying to figure out if there is a problem,
or I don't know how to work the Theft Deterrent System.