Creaking Noise Front Right *solved

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

DeiselRed
Crew
Crew

Creaking Noise Front Right *solved

Post by DeiselRed »

Bad brake pads-HJ

Hey guys I am new to the forum and I need some advice and guidance. I have not owned my ZR-5 for long and I have discovered a few noises while driving it. When I am lightly on the brakes, I'm hearing a one creaking noise per tire rotation. For example,

Creak, *silence*, Creak, *silence*

I have had my front rotors replaced as well when I first heard it. It went away for a while but tonight, boom, came back. It is also very cold here in New England and I was wondering if that could be apart of the equation.

Also,

when I am taking turns sometime, left and right, I hear a popping noise on either side of the front end. I have checked if it was the bolt problem in the hood but checked and that was not the case. Any advice would be great to tell the mechanics at the dealership.

^ And is it possible if the creaking noise correlates with the popping noise?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Welcome to the forum.

We need a few additional tidbits like;

mileage (any repair maintenance records)

model yr?

location? temps make a deference in noises.

how many rigs have you owned? this could be your first for all we know and any noise may strike terror.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
DeiselRed
Crew
Crew

Post by DeiselRed »

It has around 63k on it. Its a 2003. And im from Connecticut its been very cold ranging from 5-35 degrees F. And yes, it is my first truck.

The creaking is very loud though. Sometimes it seems to come and go. I had my old man stand at the front of my house and he heard it while I was about 30 feet before my driveway. : /
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Lube the T-bar sockets and see if it goes away.

Creaking sound.

I think something is wrong...

If the lube doesn't work, get prepared to replace the ball joints. Servicing them by greasing would not be a bad idea while you're under there.
Don't forget there are 11 zerks on the front end ;)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
DeiselRed
Crew
Crew

Post by DeiselRed »

Im going to see if I can just get them replaced by the dealership. It does not make a creaking noise when im turning though? Thats the weird part. Its only when there is very minimal weight put on the front end, When I am braking lightly. If I put on the brakes hard it goes away. It sounds like a scratching on metal. When im taking turns with no brakes, no scratching. Thats why I'm thinking brake rotor but it dosen't make sense because I just replaced them. Can very minimal weight make a ball joint make a scracthing noise? Thank you for all the advice though. I will have everything checked out in the threads you posted.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Don't annoy your dealer with small stuff. You REALLY need a good relationship with them. If you pick at them for the small stuff they may not be there when stuff really goes to heck.
If the sound occurs when you compress the suspension, then it is more likely to be suspension rather than brakes.

Do yourself a favor and pick up a can of Superlube from the dealer. Spray it on the t-bar sockets. Give it some time to soak in and see if the sound disappears.

If that doesn't do it, and you haven't had an alignment, then invest in one. The dealer will not diagnose the ball joints or wheel bearings. The alignment shop will. Money well spent.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
DeiselRed
Crew
Crew

Post by DeiselRed »

I just got my alignment done a couple days ago because it needed one bad. I will pick up a can of Superlube though and spray it on the T-bar sockets. And the dealer has an alignment shop within it. I will let you know how it goes.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If you had a good shop align the front they should have ruled out bad ball joints and wheel bearings , prior.
That being the case, you are on the right track.

Eyes open for loose bolts. One member solved a popping sound when he found the lower a-arm mounting bolt falling out.

Creaking shocks are another possibility. have you upgraded? That is something to read about too. A quick search with turn up some good information.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
DeiselRed
Crew
Crew

Post by DeiselRed »

Shocks are stock from I see. Im going to check for loose bolts today and lube up what I can. I'll let you know how it goes.

EDIT: Lubbed what I could and checked bolts in suspension. Everything seemed to be tight.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Still there.
Last edited by DeiselRed on Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Put shocks on the top of your replacement list. The stock shocks were really poor to say the least.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Some possible fixes are:

Lube the t-bar sockets (GM uses a very heavy grease for the sockets), lube the plastic rear leaf springs pads, lube all of the suspension bushings (they do not normally require lube, however lubing them might help find the problem and it won't hurt anything), grease all 11 zerk fittings on the front end, check both sway bar brackets and endlinks for damage, have a shop check all of the ball joints, tie rods, idler arm, and pitman arm for too much play, make sure all of the lug nuts are equally tightened to 90-100 ft. pounds, lube all 8 brake caliper slide pins with synthetic brake caliper grease (do not use chassis grease), check the t-bar crossmember hangers for excessive play (sometimnes you will see a shiny spot where the hangers are making contact with the frame), lube all of the shock mounting points or better yet get some good shocks like Bilsteins.

Try one fix at a time so that you can be sure which one was causing the problem.

If you do have a warranty don't worry about bugging your dealer with small items (you payed for it already). :wink:

I had a strange popping noise on my 05 ZR2 that was caused by my drivers side lower A-arm making slight contact with the frame. I grinded off a small piece of metal that was sticking out and the now the noise is gone.

Good luck finding your noise and when you do find the problem make sure you let us know what it was so that the information can be used to help another member later on. :D

Steve
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

BILSTEIN Heavy Duty Shocks F4-B46-1410 HD front, F4-B46-1681 HD rear. Shop around, you will be able to find them for right around $250 for all four total. I got mine online from a place in Texas, but I can't find my invoice nor can I recall their name. Search on this topic, I know the info. is here somewhere. It will be one of those mods you be forever glad you went premium. 8)
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Shocks are pretty much a given on these trucks. I almost got sea sick in mine before I changed to the Bilstiens with under 1k on the odometer. I stepped out of a ZR2 to get my CC and that may have contributed to what I thought of the ride. Very first mod that I did and one of the best.

You will not believe the difference! You may get cheaper shocks but, not better ones!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
DeiselRed
Crew
Crew

Post by DeiselRed »

After alot of thinking and checking things out. I noticed when my Rotors were done. My pads were not done. After being told my pads were also replaced, it was not shown on the paper work. After I asked the tech who did my rotors, he said that they "looked new" which is very un-proffesional and stupid. Who replaced f### up rotors without new pads? Does not make any sense. I brought it to another tech, and he said those are deffinatly messed up brake pads. After the dealership told me the noise was normal, I called them retards and insist they replace my brake pads because they never did in the first place after lieing to me. Got the pads replaced today. Boom. Sounds gone.

Verdict = People are idiots
anvil
Crew
Crew

Post by anvil »

Noises will drive you crazy, especially when you rule out the obvious like the brakes, only to have the pads not changed. Well at least that is resolved now.

You're in CT, you could have bought my ZR5, 2002 less than 41K miles on it.

http://www.mcdermottauto.com/ou/newhave ... _inventory