Crew Stalling

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Crew Stalling

Post by bradjh »

I had some trouble with my truck today my low fuel light came on earlier when i was parked on a steep hill. After i moved to level ground gauge went to 1/4 and light went off so i am driving to gas station and truck keeps stalling no check engine no low fuel light.. So i fill it up and seems to be ok accept now i notice battery gauge is a hair below 14 and oil pressure is not where it used to be.. Also when at stop light seems to idle real low not like it is going to stall though and i noticed the lights that light up and say what gear i am in and the mileage blind when i am at a stop light.. I did install snow bear plow last month and drove through a big puddle maybe water got in the quick disconnect? any ideas? Thanks.. What should my truck idle at normally? oil pressure? and battery be? on scan gauge battery kept fluctuation between 13.5 up to 14.....
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sounds like you need to check those battery connections. Make sure the bolt is not bottomed out , the cables clean and tight.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bradjh »

I went to autozone and bought extended bolts that have a stop and a nut so you can easily attach the winch cables... They are longer than factory bolts and the cables were still a little loose after they were tight but i figured since it was touching the post it would be ok.. could it be an alternator? how can i check?
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

bradjh wrote:the cables were still a little loose after they were tight but i figured since it was touching the post it would be ok..
You may have just answered/solved your problem without even knowing it. :wink:

Those cables need to be tight!

Steve
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bradjh »

the bolts will not get any tighter.. how can i make the cables get tight? what should my truck idle at? what should oil pressure be and what about volts? Thanks... how else could i hook this winch cable up?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

bradjh wrote:the bolts will not get any tighter.. how can i make the cables get tight?
Add a brass washer so the bolt no longer bottoms on the battery.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Can the bolts be shortened a little bit? (I like Brule's suggestion better)

My 05 ZR2 idles @ 600 rpm in park and 530 rpm in drive.

The oil pressure is 50-60 psi in park and drive (it will go as low as 40 psi when it's hot).

The voltage sits @ 14.8 in park and drive (the voltage never drops below 14.0 even with everything on).

Steve
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bradjh »

does the washer have to be brass? I dont have any brass ones that big?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Brass would be a better choice as it does not oxidize as quickly in a corrosive atmosphere. a zinc plated steel washer will quickly corrode and offer poor conduction. The hardware store will have brass washers. You can slap a steel washer on their until you can get a better one, but you will have problems with steel eventually.

- ThunderII KE7CSK