parking brake

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

parking brake

Post by bradjh »

I tried searching and did not find much.. My parking brake no longer holds.. I have already pulled the rotors off and adjusted the shoes out.. the one on the passanger side was frozen.. so they probably need to be replace anyone done this.. How hard is it...?? Brad
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: parking brake

Post by barch97 »

bradjh wrote:I tried searching and did not find much..
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bradjh »

barch 97 thanks but none of those treads awnser my guestions of how to replace the parking brake shoes on the inside of the rear rotors!
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

You have to pull the rotors off and replace the shoes much like old style drum brakes. Not too difficult just time consuming with removing rotors and calipers etc.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: parking brake

Post by barch97 »

bradjh wrote:I have already pulled the rotors off and adjusted the shoes out..
:?:
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bradjh »

about 6 months ago i took off the rear rotors and turned the little wheel to make the shoes go out.. parking brake worked good for few months.. the passanger side assemly is all frozen up.. how do i replace parking break shoes on both rear wheels??
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

bradjh wrote:...how do i replace parking break shoes on both rear wheels??
Brian linked it above:
HenryJ wrote: Park Brake Shoe Replacement
Removal Procedure:

1. Raise and suitably support the vehicle.
2. Remove the wheel and the tire.
3. Remove the caliper.
4. Remove the rotor.
5. Remove the park brake shoe assembly by sliding the shoe towards the hold down spring until the shoe is disengaged from the spring.
6. Remove the shoe from the actuation mechanism.
7. Clean the debris and the dust from the park brake components using a clean towel.
8. Turn the adjustment screw to the fully home position in the notched adjustment nut, then back it off 1/4 turn.
9. Align the slots in both the adjusting screw and tappet to be parallel with the backing plate face.

Installation Procedure:
1. Install a new park brake shoe.
2. Position the shoe on the inboard side of the actuation mechanism.
3. Clip the shoe on the hold down spring.
4. Inspect the shoe assembly position. The shoe must be central on the backing plate and with both tips located in the slots.
5. Manually check the park brake for proper operation.
6. Adjust the park brake shoe.
7. Install the caliper.
8. Install the rotor.
9. Install the tire and wheel.
10. Lower the vehicle.

I follow the directions for the fullsize when adjusting the shoes:

Park Brake Shoe Adjustment
Tools Required
A Drum-to-Brake Shoe Clearance Gauge

Proper adjustment requires a tool for checking the air gap between the drum (rotor hat) and the shoes. It is like a large caliper. (GM# J 2117-A Drum to Brake Shoe Clearance Gauge) KD Tools also makes one. I think it was close to $50

Important

The park brake shoes must be adjusted before the park brake pedal is adjusted.
1. Set the tool so that it contacts the inside diameter of the rotor.
2. Position the tool over the shoe and the lining at the widest point.
3. Turn the adjuster nut until the lining just contacts the tool.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 for the opposite side.
5. The clearance between the park brake shoe and the rotor is 0.6604 mm (0.026 in).

The S-series manual is not specific about the adjustment procedure or clearances. Adapt if you must.

Be sure to set the parking brake periodically. It needs to be re-centered in the drum. This is especially important after some offroad abuse. Vibration and harsh bumps can cause the shoe to slip off center and wear prematurely.

Park Brake Adjustment

The park brake must be adjusted any time the park brake cables have been replaced or disconnected, or if under heavy foot pressure the pedal travel is less than half the pedal total travel. Before adjusting the park brake, check the condition of the service brakes. The rear brakes must be adjusted properly before adjusting the park brake.

1. Block the front wheels.
2. Raise the rear axle and support the rear axle with safety stands.
3. Loosen the equalizer nut.
4. Fully release the park brake pedal.
5. Tighten the equalizer nut until the rear wheels will not rotate without excessive force in a forward direction.
6. Loosen the equalizer nut until there is little or no drag when the rear wheels are rotated in a forward direction.
7. Lower the vehicle.
8. Remove the blocks from the front wheels.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Unless you keep the underside of your CC really clean. You might want to check your emergency cable where it runs down the drivers side between the frame and the outer body edge. In freezing weather and in heavy mud I have had enough buildup on the cables that the emergency brake shoes were suffering premature wear as they were partially applied all the time without depressing the pedal. May not affect you but sure is a PIA for me at times.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.