OT-2000 Blazer ABS Problem & Idling Problem

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

formeremployee01
Regular
Regular

OT-2000 Blazer ABS Problem & Idling Problem

Post by formeremployee01 »

Vehicle: 2000 Chevy Blazer, 4x4, 4 door, 4.3

ABS Problem

Background: Bought in 2002 with 15,000 miles from local Chevrolet dealer. No major problems with the exception of normal wear and tear. Fuel sending unit problem. Replaced pump assembly and got bad sending unit. No big deal, we run it on mileage.

Major Problems:
When coming to a stop, either gentle or hard braking, dry, wet, gravel, sand, smooth, rough surface, it did not matter, the ABS would kick in and let the vehicle roll into the intersection. I pulled the fuse and didn’t think anymore about it.

Replaced BOTH wheel bearing hub assemblies twice. Brother-in-law mushroomed the threads and spline first time. Family friend took a cut-off disc and was able to salvage the bad piece. ($400.00) Brother-in-law is not allowed back in my garage anymore. When I re-assembled the assembly last. I pinched on of the ABS lines. With the ABS line at $75.00 a pop a just ignored it.

Well, I had to replace both wheel bearing hub assemblies on my 02 CC and used a Advance Auto Parts on passenger side and one from synergy on drivers side. The one from synergy came with an ABS line that is not removable like all others I have seen. The auto parts store hub, when I put it in, I did not use the new ABS line, I used the stock ABS line and saved the new ABS line for the Blazer. All is good with the CC and I installed the ABS line into the blazer hub. (the lines were the same)

Re-occurring problem: The same, throwing vehicle into the intersection came back on the blazer when I re-installed the fuse. All the dash lights associated with ABS went off and same problem came back. I pulled the ABS fuse for time being. Wife drives it with kids and such.

What would cause the ABS to throwing vehicle into the intersection? Even light pressure stops result in ABS activation. Pads are changed when needed. No other majors on the blazer in relation to brakes have occurred.

I do not trust brake shops, never have. I do all my own brake work. Any help would be appreciated.

Idling Problem

This is something new. Engine will idle up 500-1000 rpm when stopped or when traveling over 30mph (wife says) the idle will surge on her. We run mid-grade fuel and every 6 months or so, a fuel cleansing cycle of treatments. Earlier this winter, I ran some treatment for water due to extremely low temps and it acting up on her.
Any suggestions on what to look for in relation to idle surge? Where should I start?

Thanks for putting up with something off topic and all help is welcome.
The Haynes book I have covers all three vehicles I have, 97 s-10 extended cab, 2000 4x4 blazer 4 door, and 02 CC.

Thanks all….
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The ABS problem may be a bad module. I have run into similar problems on a full size that never had the fluid changed.
You might try replacing all the fluid and bleeding the brakes thoroughly.

For the idle issues, and this might even relate to brake issues, look for vacuum line leaks. Dry rot in the lines behind the booster and to the reservoir are common.
Check and clean the EGR, as it is know to cause some cruise surge issues. Make sure to check all the ignition components and replace the fuel filter if needed.
Check out the thread on the fuel pump testing. That will rule out any of those problems.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK