Mine creaks and rattles terribly in the cold

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Mine creaks and rattles terribly in the cold

Post by fallvitals »

Split topic-HJ

Also want to ask you guys. Last night, and tonight coming home from work, it was cold. 24 last night, 16 tonight. Driving home the interior made all these crakcing and popping sounds. They came from all over. Never heard a vehicle make such sounds o_0 They didn't do it while test driving. Im assuming its just the extremely cold weather. Ideas?
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Mine creaks and rattles terribly in the cold and in VT that's 6 months of the year. You can go crazy tracking down each one and isolating it. Many have done that with the center console, search for the thread, I know it's on here somewhere. Or you can just use the volume knob on the radio.Image
As for the forum limits, we are fortunate to be hosted on a "free" server from time immemorial, and to keep ourselves from being a bandwidth and storage space hog Brule likes to keep us lean and mean. It also means that occasionally posts that do not contribute to the overall spirit of the crew cab are trimmed, mostly from the NOS area when it happens.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Brian is correct about the noises in the CCs. You can spend allot of time eliminating them or attempting to. Much more body to host the sounds than what is found in a regular cab S series rig. I have my own sounds to contend with in my crew but, I find myself thinking it is of Rolls Royce quality after a few days spent in my other ride. The heated seats are especially nice when temps are 10° and below. Image

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Aight, thanks for the reply. I was thinking, it had to be the cold. Ir wasn't just from one area either it was all over. like a fly beating itself against the sides of the vehicle, lol. A bit annoying, but il have to try the radio solution ;)

Infact I need to get ready and meet the car dealer person. The display on my stock factory cd player is dead. They are gonna take me to a audio shop and "let" me pick out a $150 or less CD player to put in it. Which is cool, cuase Ill probably just drop my Alpine from my old S-10 back into it any ways. Either way, I still need to take it out to hook up my old 10" rockford sub and 150 watt JBL amp. Thank goodness its gona be in the 70s saturday! Wooo! But I need to get me some new power wire, and inline fuse for the amp too :P
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

oh sure, and this morning it was -6 at my house. I would see 70 till May at this rate.
Make sure they buy you the PAC adapter so your on board security system and chimes continue to work since they run through the factory radio.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

What this PAC adapter? Can't find anything googling it.. I hope its something the car shop will install when they do the stereo...? If not im sure I can do it later. Ill have th radio back out of the dash shortly anyways.

shew,,, -6. that sucks, low here was suppose to be 6. Today is suppose to be 49, tomm 55, sat, 71!!!! I bet its gonna snow! lol.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

This is one type. http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=8503 It is needed to keep the retained accessory power features operational after an aftermarket head unit is installed.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Getting off topic but, is this really needed? I did not install anything special when putting in my aftermarket deck. Just a wire harness adapter for ease of installation and that was it. Works just fine, no issues there, turns off after 20 minutes or when the door is opened. Is this something to do with the double din changes made mid year '02? I have the 1 1/2 din dash. I have never heard of needing this device before. Was this required in your CC after installation of an aftermarket deck Brian?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I use the factory deck but supposedly if you have a RDS radio you need this to retain the RAP. Just wanted him to get it on the dealers dime if needed.
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

Plastic! Expanding, contracting and cold weather dont mix. I found that using Armour All in the winter stops most of these creeks and pops. Most people only use it in the summer when they clean the truck. Spary it on and let it seep into the cracks. Wipe off the surface the next day.
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

DLP wrote:Plastic! Expanding, contracting and cold weather dont mix. I found that using Armour All in the winter stops most of these creeks and pops. Most people only use it in the summer when they clean the truck. Spary it on and let it seep into the cracks. Wipe off the surface the next day.
good info. Ill keep that in mind, I heard a few pops today, it was pretty warm in the cab, but nothing like the last two nights! lol.

Got the new headunit in. Had to pay $30 out of pocket extra to get the cheapest mp3/wma player. A Pioneer. And i really dislike it. all the buttons are small, the volume know is barely big enough to get your hands on. The local shop that did it charged $140 for that head unit plus install (dealer covered $170). Went to the girlfriend's house and the same headunit was $99 on crutchfield, and went to wally world, $99 there two! :!: Heck, I should just told them give me $150, ill ordered from from crutchfield and ill do it myself.

But I was rpetty sure I was gonna put my Alpine in this truck anyways, and I definantly am now. Im not sure if I am gonna sell or hold onto that pioneer. I wonder if the factory radio, with dead display, is worth any cash too?

But tommorow, im gonna get some crimps, 10 guage wire, wire for a remote turn on, and wire up my 150 watt JBL amp and 10" rockford sub in this truck. Along with dropping my Alpine in it :)
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by YellowCrewCabber »

f9k9 wrote:Brian is correct about the noises in the CCs. You can spend allot of time eliminating them or attempting to. Much more body to host the sounds than what is found in a regular cab S series rig. I have my own sounds to contend with in my crew but, I find myself thinking it is of Rolls Royce quality after a few days spent in my other ride. The heated seats are especially nice when temps are 10° and below. Image

Man that grey thing is blocking the view of that nice chevy back there. :wink:
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

Xbox Live Gamer Tag-Gefke6367[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

YellowCrewCabber wrote:[...................Man that grey thing is blocking the view of that nice chevy back there. :wink:
I dunno what color that pos is but, gray is as good as any other to describe it. Trust me, waterfowl are circling over that thing, and waiting for it's demise. Wait a sec,, I think those are vultures circling overhead. :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]