Broken spring in the back of drivers seat

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Broken spring in the back of drivers seat

Post by fallvitals »

I started removing the back seats from my truck today to shim them out for a 10" sub. I was leaning against the drivers seat removing the bolts. I later discovered a loose piece of metal in the back of the drivers seat, apperantly becuase I leaned against it.

I undid the plastic upholstry clamp, thing. Started to remove the seat cover, then saw i was stretched for time and had to stop. I felt up in it, and a spring in the very back of it, or some kind of metal rod is broke at the very base of the back of the chair. and goes up to about the headrest, where it makes an awful metal on metal cling.

I havent drove yet, but going out now.. the back still feel stiff... i think just cutting it out (after I see whats going on of course, right now, just guessing) wouldnt really have any bad effects on stiffness. (im assuming its still the same, will know for a fact shortly).

But if I have to fix it,, what can I do? If any thing??? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

never fails.
Last edited by fallvitals on Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

:lol: I'm only laughing because the same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. :roll:

I pulled the factory seat cover up about 6" so I could get my hand up there to see what was making the annoying clanging noise.

A tack weld on one of the vertical back support wires had broken which allowed it to make contact with another support wire.

I just put another small tack weld on it and the problem was fixed.

If you do not have a welder you could just use a zip tie and secure it to another wire so the noise will go away.

Steve
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

lol, so you feel my pain.

Don't have a welder. Wish I did. Nor do I know how to weld. :(

Did yours make the clanging sound below the headrest?

Like you, I felt up in there, and felt the rod (what feels like a rod) broken loose from a tack weld on a horizontel bar at the very bottom. but even when I held it, and smacked the back of the set, it was hitting metal just below the headrest. So, even if I fix the bottom where it broke, I apperantly have something else loose above it... Was yours the same way too? or did the bottom fix it all in your case?

When driving, I felt no differance at all. I think this rod that broke might just keep the back of the set upholstry pushed out. When driving, it made no noise at all. even when I reached around and smacked the back of it while driving.

I think I could even leave it be, but it would bother the crap out of me knowing its like that....

But, Ill finish getting the set mod-ed tommorow and install the amp, then mess with the drivers seat.

Thanks for the reply. It is helpful, but i think my problem might be a little more complicated since its still loose even when I hold the bottom where the joint broke and smake the back of the seat. :!: