Fuel Door

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Fuel Door

Post by green02crew »

The hinge on the fuel door broke causing the door to hang loose. Rust seems to have ruined the hinge. I found a replacement on LMC truck for $50 shipped, I'll still have to paint it though. Anyone know of better alternatives? For a junkyard find it would have to be a CC as the door is different than on the regular s-series.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
blks10
Crew
Crew

Post by blks10 »

take off your gas tank and install a flux capacitor
raven2510
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by raven2510 »

any 98+ fuel door will work the same for you
1999 Chevy S10 ZR2
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

raven2510 wrote:any 98+ fuel door will work the same for you
Nope. Unfortunately we have the South American Isuzu bed. It has a fender bulge over the fuel door that no other S-series shares. 2001-2004 s-series crew cab production models are the the only options.

It is possible that the Isuzu Hombre may have one that could work, but around here they are even more rare.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

$42.65 to my door through GM Parts Direct. Writing this one off as the rust gremlins again. They have been striking hard lately.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
raven2510
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by raven2510 »

HenryJ wrote:
raven2510 wrote:any 98+ fuel door will work the same for you
Nope. Unfortunately we have the South American Isuzu bed. It has a fender bulge over the fuel door that no other S-series shares. 2001-2004 s-series crew cab production models are the the only options.

It is possible that the Isuzu Hombre may have one that could work, but around here they are even more rare.
really...ive never noticed the body difference before....something new every day
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

The door has an arch to it and the arm connecting the door is shorter in length.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Painted and installed with color match paint from NAPA. Some good sanding and prepwork was necessary as well as a good primer as it did not come preprimed as expected, it was bare metal.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
davejb851
Regular
Regular

Post by davejb851 »

Not painted? That must be why the dealership I called wanted $150 for one.
I had to give them the paint code and they told me they could have one all painted.
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

I just purchased a fuel door, and was surprised to see that it was not painted. I still have to get the primer and sandpaper to get started, then off to NAPA for the paint. I figure I' looking at another $30.00 inaddition to the $38.84 I've already spent.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

Finished painting and installing the fuel door last Saturday before we left on vacation. Picked up the paint in a spray can from NAPA (custom mixed). Took a couple of hours to paint, and about 35 min to install and adjust.
[size=75]Mitch
davejb851
Regular
Regular

another idea

Post by davejb851 »

Having the same problem, I took the door off to find the spring and latch? tiny piece of metal had rusted and broken on one side.
Guess this might be how most fuel door covers are designed to work, but it seems an awful way to do it.
To keep from going the $50 dollar/paint can route, I had a bunch of rare earth disk magnets with holes in them like a washer. Took two that were about the thickness of the rubber stoppers, and modified them to fit as replacements. I fastened them to the mounts with plastic screws and nuts and the door holds fast and tight as it should.
Guess saving all those extra hardware pieces from gas grills, kids toys, and any other thing that comes unassembled paid off this time? :lol:
[size=75]I tell my Boy Scouts.....leadership isn't a job, it's an attitude! Lead by example!
2002 CC bone stock...for now - 2001 Aztek AWD - 1997 Land Rover Discovery[/size]
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

Check LMC truck. I saw the door spring separately in their S-10 catalog.
[size=75]Mitch
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

I tried buying the spring from GM and when it arrived it was the wrong one. Never could get the right one so I re-bent the original that had fallen out and re-installed it a year ago and it is still okay.
Thought about magnets too but was unwilling after recalling what effect they have on rusting under magnetic signs and emblems on the outside of the body.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
Roberty

Post by Roberty »

I'm in the same boat with my crew cab S10. I tried the spring that I bought from my local Chevy dealer and it didn't work so I'm going to just buy the whole door and paint it. I tried a used regular S10 pickup truck fuel door and found out the hard way that they are different. Anyone know if GM part # 15761473 is the correct door? GM parts direct has it for $42.93 shipped to my door.
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

rlrnr53 wrote:Check LMC truck. I saw the door spring separately in their S-10 catalog.
http://LMCTruck.com

Part# 31-3132 Fuel Door Spring Crew Cab 01-04 $4.95

Page 136 of current catalog.