Creak bearing noises-under the hood*solved*

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

GAS
Crew
Crew

Creak bearing noises-under the hood*solved*

Post by GAS »

My engine becomes to make repeating in several frequency squeaking noises after start :cry: . It’s begun pretty sudden and firstly were hearing only while the engine is cold. After a wild those noise becomes constant.
First time, when I conceded that it might be a belt, I used Belt Tensioner Spray and it helps for a couple minutes. Now it quit working. I’m pretty sure that is one of auxiliary units or water pump bearings. I am suspecting that is a pump ‘cause frequency of noises is lower then alternator’s or AC compressor’s pulley speed. The question is how can I indentify those noises source? May I start engine for couple of minutes with belt off? I believe there are 4 bearings: alternator, AC compressor, water pump and belt tensioner. Did I miss something? :?:
Thank you.
P.S. I changed my avatar.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Take the belt off and rotate those you mentioned by hand. Loose or dry they will reveal themselves.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
GAS
Crew
Crew

Post by GAS »

Looks like some medicine stuff. I don’t have this gear. I used this:
GAS
Crew
Crew

Post by GAS »

HenryJ wrote:Take the belt off and rotate those you mentioned by hand. Loose or dry they will reveal themselves.
OK, I will. Thank you. :)
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

What is the age of the belt? Could it be the simple solution of changing the belt and putting on a goodyear gatorback? Mine would squeak nearly constant until I put a gatorback on.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

Gatorback FTW!!!
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
GAS
Crew
Crew

Post by GAS »

green02crew wrote:What is the age of the belt? Could it be the simple solution of changing the belt and putting on a goodyear gatorback? Mine would squeak nearly constant until I put a gatorback on.
I really doubt. The noise is differing. And the belt is almost new. :?
GAS
Crew
Crew

Post by GAS »

HenryJ wrote:Take the belt off and rotate those you mentioned by hand. Loose or dry they will reveal themselves.
Done. It was alternator. I think bearing lost its grease but not creaked. So I dismounted alternator and made some lube job. Either did tensioner, just in case. Now sound is OK.
Thank you all for input.
:)
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

The photo that I offered was an automotive stethoscope that I once thought was exotic and expensive. They are showing up more and more in parts stores and are reasonably priced. I've used a short length of hose to do the same thing. Just helps isolate noises while motor is running.
f9k9 wrote:Image
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
GAS
Crew
Crew

Post by GAS »

I suspected so. But since I never sow it in part stores Brule’s advice becomes closer to reality. Thanks anyway. :wave:
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

I'm with Reed on the stethoscope. I have owned and used them for over 30 years now. Very effective tool and reasonably priced too. Try Harbor Freight for a decent price if they are too high in your local stores.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
GAS
Crew
Crew

Post by GAS »

roadrunner wrote:I'm with Reed on the stethoscope. I have owned and used them for over 30 years now. Very effective tool and reasonably priced too. Try Harbor Freight for a decent price if they are too high in your local stores.
Here we have stuff like these Image only in i-stores. It cost around $9 and needs to ship. Will think. :wink:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I use a long 3/8" extension held to the ear with a thumb.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
GAS
Crew
Crew

Post by GAS »

HenryJ wrote:I use a long 3/8" extension held to the ear with a thumb.
So do I - old fashioned way. :roll: