Bosch Fuel Pump

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Sonoma GT
Crew
Crew

Bosch Fuel Pump

Post by Sonoma GT »

My fuel pump finally died on my 2001 Crew Cab after 110,000 miles. I needed to fix it this weekend and could not find an OEM pump and didn’t want to wait to have one delivered. I know that the OEM pump is supposed to be the best and that cheap pumps won’t last so I thought I’d give this Bosch pump a try. It was not cheap at $345.00 but was the only pump that was available fast that I thought would be a high quality pump. I’ve never heard much about Bosch fuel pumps on here or other forums. The install kind of sucked because of all the rust but PB Blaster came through again. 4 ½ hours later it’s running fine again.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Well, glad you got it running again. Keep us posted on the Bosch pump. I haven't read anything good or bad about their fuel pumps but, I have read bad about their plugs and O2 sensors. Did you try keeping your tank over half full on a regular basis?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Sonoma GT
Crew
Crew

Post by Sonoma GT »

This pump does have a Lifetime warranty and Bosch claims to be the world leader in fuel system technology, for what that’s worth. As far as running only on the top half of the tank, NO. I’m not that disciplined. I set my trip odometer and make sure that I get gas sometime in the next 230 miles. Usually very close to the 230 mile point.
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

Wish I could go 230 miles... I had a pump like that in my old Blazer. I put it in at 100,000 miles and sold it at 230,000 and it's still going.
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
Lewis

Re: Bosch Fuel Pump

Post by Lewis »

I have a 01 CC and my fuel pump is starting to die, what web site did you order your pump from?
Sonoma GT
Crew
Crew

Post by Sonoma GT »

I bought the Bosch pump at Advance Auto. I did not buy it online because my pump died and I wanted it quickly.Advance had it in stock.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If you want to buy online, rockauto.com may be a good option.
They list the Bosch and Delphi pumps at the same price.

Be sure to check the classifieds for a discount code.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jim

Post by Jim »

Sonoma GT wrote:My fuel pump finally died on my 2001 Crew Cab after 110,000 miles. I needed to fix it this weekend and could not find an OEM pump and didn’t want to wait to have one delivered. I know that the OEM pump is supposed to be the best and that cheap pumps won’t last so I thought I’d give this Bosch pump a try. It was not cheap at $345.00 but was the only pump that was available fast that I thought would be a high quality pump. I’ve never heard much about Bosch fuel pumps on here or other forums. The install kind of sucked because of all the rust but PB Blaster came through again. 4 ½ hours later it’s running fine again.
Looks like their is special clips that hold the fuel lines to the pump. Are they like the one on the fuel filter you just squeeze or do you need a tool?
Last edited by Jim on Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
Lewis

Post by Lewis »

Thanks for the web link. And the information. :D
Sonoma GT
Crew
Crew

Post by Sonoma GT »

Looks like their is special clips that hold the fuel lines to the pump. Are they like the one on the fuel filter you just squeeze or do you need a tool?
No special tools needed. Just the squeeze type.
Lewis

Post by Lewis »

Thanks, I have changed the fuel pump out my self on my 97 s-10. And now my fuel pump is going out on my 01 cc, I was looking for the best pump, I use my cc for plowing snow and hauling my 14 ft construction trailer. Rock ON :rock: Thanks for the tip though :)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Lewis wrote:... I was looking for the best pump...
You may want to consider the Delphi pump. It includes the new connector. The stock connector is part of a TSB dealing with fuel pump failures due to resistance in the smaller stock connector terminals.
I am not sure that the Bosch pump includes this updated connector and pigtail. The one pictured above does not.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Lewis

Post by Lewis »

Its done!!! Took me and my father inlaw half a day, had to make some mods to the new straps but its good to go.

Here is a video of my truck plowing snow. Enjoy :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qXOIexXOoQ
Jim

Post by Jim »

Sonoma GT wrote:
No special tools needed. Just the squeeze type.
Should I replace with new clips or is it ok to use the old over?
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Jim,
I'd use the new clips but, you might want to wait until Brule resurfaces from Moab and it's limited communication resources.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Sonoma GT
Crew
Crew

Post by Sonoma GT »

I just used the original clips.
Jim

Post by Jim »

When splicing the new connector should I use the supplied crimp connectors or solder and heat shrink it?
Best Regards, Jim
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I like the solder and heat shrink, however the heat shrink crimp connectors are not too bad.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jim

Post by Jim »

F9K9 wrote:Jim,
I'd use the new clips but, you might want to wait until Brule resurfaces from Moab and it's limited communication resources.
Chevy dealer here said the bravada only has one serviceable clip, the fuel supply, the return coupler is a part of the line and not available separate the third is a vent he said it just pushes on. Sunday afternoon it comes apart we'll see...
Best Regards, Jim
Jim

Post by Jim »

Wanted to do this job today, didn't get a chance, we were in Virginia to late visiting my daughter. While on the boring drive I figured I have time to crawl under this afternoon and spray some PB Blaster on some bolts and snap a few pics of the fuel line connectors. I'm now buying a used tank and locking ring from S-10 Warehouse...Ryan is also throwing in fuel line clips.
This is what I found. :cry:

Glad I had that mindless ride thinking about the job :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0550744631

Best Regards, Jim
Jim

Post by Jim »

I got one more question before I do the job.
Am I to lube the fuel line fittings with motor oil like we do when replacing the fuel filter?
Best Regards, Jim
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Curious question here. Can the sending unit be accessed with the bed removed or does the tank need to be dropped? I need to install a stupid evap sensor, the little back thing on top of the sending unit there with the plug and I figured while I'm doing my undercoating project I can just do that too...
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

You have to drop the tank. It is under the cab. If you look between the bed and cab on the drivers side you can see it.
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

You can see it, but cant reach it just to pop the sensor out then correct?
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ