Have you changed your tranny fluid and filter lately?

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Have you changed your tranny fluid and filter lately?

Post by YellowCrewCabber »

Changed the tranny fluid and filter tonight. That sucked!! Actually I did this about a year ago and the T-case also. The truck had around 90k on it then. Way past due. And borrowing a mechanic friend's lift made that much easier. This time I was on my back. Took twice as long to do but I did not remove the cross member this time. Just the two bolts on the passenger side and just the front bolt on the drivers side. Since I neglected to change it sooner the first time and not being able to get ALL the fluid out I wanted to see how much debris would be in the pan this time. Looked really good. 127k on it now. Maybe it's overkill but I feel better about it. 3 things you should know. 1. You will have to move the cross member. If you don't you'll risk cutting electrical wires on the solenoids getting the pan off. Ask my mechanic friend. :) 2. The kit I bought came with a seal for the filter. I for one will never change that again. Huge pain the a#$. 3. For those who have the ZR5 model, you will have to remove the front bracket for the nerf bar on the passenger side to be able to get to the cross member bolts. Next project will be sevicing the rear diff (not adding the friction modifier this time) and moving the vent hose. Pray to God there is no water in it this time. :cheers:
Jeff
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

Xbox Live Gamer Tag-Gefke6367[/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I do everything myself, but I took my crew cab to a tranny place to have them flush it and change the filter a couple weeks ago, 56K miles.

I already changed the diff fluid in mine, didnt see any water. But ill have to search for the thread on moving the vent hose.. I didnt even think about it at the time I was changing the fluid.
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

While you are under there, check the vent hose on the transmission. I am 2 for 2 on having stopped up vent lines.

The vent connects at the top of the transmission and curls around to the driver side where it is stuck under some wiring to hold it in place. The easiest access is to reach up from the passenger side and pull it over to that side so you can see the end better. You don't want to leave it on the passenger side because of the chance of getting transmission fluid on the exhaust.

I put a longer hose on mine and ran it up to the engine compartment and into the right fender.

James
2001 S10 Crew (wife's mail truck)
2002 S10 Crew, 2003 S10 Blazer
2006 K2500 5 speed
Gary H
Crew
Crew

Post by Gary H »

I hate to admit (and I know HJ is gonna jump all over me for this) but I have 106K miles on my CC and have yet to change the fluid and filter. I need to change it in my Jeep too. At least the previous owners kept up with the Jeep's tranny. I've really been bad with the CC maintenance though.
[size=75]Gary.
(AKA Rusty)[/size]
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by YellowCrewCabber »

Gary H wrote:I hate to admit (and I know HJ is gonna jump all over me for this) but I have 106K miles on my CC and have yet to change the fluid and filter. I need to change it in my Jeep too. At least the previous owners kept up with the Jeep's tranny. I've really been bad with the CC maintenance though.
:yikes: :alert: :wink:
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

Xbox Live Gamer Tag-Gefke6367[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

The cross member does not have to be removed to drop the transmission pan. I've changed the filter several times without removing the cross member or any bolts. If you are CAREFUL you won't have any problems.

The seal for the trans filter should ALWAYS be changed when you put in a new filter. Most of the time the old seal will not conform to the new filter tube and then you end up sucking air into the pump which can destroy the transmission is a short amount of time. Yes, I know it's a pain to swap out, but it is very important that you do not reuse this seal. :wink:

Steve