Sign of my bad shocks?

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Sign of my bad shocks?

Post by fallvitals »

Yeah i know I need new shocks, Bilsteins are on my list.

Going over some speed bumps today, windows down, radio off, when the front hit the bump, at a slow speed, i heard what sounded like air ruhing out of something, (shocks im sure), and when the rear hit same sound.

So, dead give away those shocks are bad (which I know, lol), and thats infact what im hearing?
MoJoe
Crew
Crew

Post by MoJoe »

Can't say I ever heard a bad shock, but you should be able to tell by the ride and suspension rebound. Try pushing up/down on the bumpers 4 or 5 good times to get the front/rear in motion, then stop and watch. If it has a floaty/bouncy response then normally the shocks are going, or gone. It should only cycle once or twice then stabilize I would think.

Mine has a real floaty ride with original shocks and 74k miles. Time for changing on mine when I find time.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Jouncing it by hand as described above you should hear the swooshing of the bad shocks too.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Steventruck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Steventruck »

The sound is normal. bouncing the corners is the tried and true way to test.

If you have any fluid leaking out (if the shock bodies look wet or greasy), your shocks are bad.

Steve
[size=75]1999 ZR2 regular cab Chevy pick-up, trip computer, Knaffle lift shackles, Warn M8000, Leer topper, Blazer power seats, Leather steering wheel with radio controls... Basically comfort features for a leasurely off-road jaunt.[/size]