Pitman arm grease fitting, hard to take grease.

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Pitman arm grease fitting, hard to take grease.

Post by fallvitals »

Didnt think to ask this till now.. few months back when i was rotating the tires on my newly aquired crew cab, dad and I greeased the joints. Put 90s where they were needed, those two joints havent been greased... in probably ever... bone dry. They all took greease, but I think i missed #11, ill have to count em all next time.

but the pitman arm on the drivers side. We couldnt get it to take grease. (we both wheels off, and on jacks). Finally after trying, and trying dad got it to take some grease as i turned the steering wheel back and forth.

I had a grease fitting on my old truck go bad, it wouldnt take grease, so i unscrewed it and replaced it. Im guessing thats whats wrong here. I dont see what else it could be?

But dad said he thinks that the fitting on the pitman arms are usually preasure fitted in there. So we shouldnt mess with it (atleast then, since we got it to take a ltitle grease).

Seems to me, the problem is a bad fitting (zerk) and it is jsut screwed in there. Seems liek fixing it would be as simple and replacing it.... but he knows more then I do. So, whats the word here?
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I've had the same thing happen before. The zerk fitting is probably plugged up. Try a new one! :wink:

Steve
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

thats what i figure. Ever heard of one being preasure fitted into the pitman arm? Thats what dad was talkin' about... I dont see why it wouldnt be a screw in type.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I really think it is screw in. I think I swapped mine for a 45. Not positive though.
If it won't take grease you have nothing to lose by trying to replace the zerk. If it was pressed in you will need to pull the idler and replace it anyway.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK