HUD says car is not in park

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

ncstatered21

HUD says car is not in park

Post by ncstatered21 »

Okay so I have a slight problem that is bothering me. I have a 2004 S10 CC with about 50,000 miles on it and an automatic transmission. Lately, when trying to put my car in park the HUD says the car is not in park. I will shift the column to the park position from drive but it will still say it is in drive. Then once i take my foot off the brake it will be in park because the car isn't rolling but it doesn't say it is park. About five minutes ago I got my car out of my drive way after my dad had used it and it wouldn't start. Turns out that the HUD said it wasn't in park so I wasn't able to start the car till I got into the car. My dad claims it is the neutral safety switch but I am not sure. I hope this explains it well enough. Please...any ideas?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I think he is right. The selector switch on the transmission would be suspect. You may be able to clean it up and restore some function?
I have only had to replace one and I don't recall the price. Easy as removing the shift arm and unplugging the connector , IIRC.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
ncstatered21

Post by ncstatered21 »

Yeah maybe. I think I saw one for 30 bucks. I'll have to check it out tomorrow and see if i can get to it.