Coating on flares coming off.

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Krash3910

Coating on flares coming off.

Post by Krash3910 »

Has anyone had a problem with the coating coming off of the factory zr5 fender flares? I had the problem with the gas coming out of the neck when fueling and it would run down the side of the truck. The coating has started 2 chip away on the rear drivers side. Can u buy the coating 2 respray them? Or what would be another option?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Rattle can bed liner?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

The rear passanger side on mine is flaking off.

My buddy had a ZR2 S-10 that did the same thing. I was tlkaing to him about it, I was thinking of taking mine off and painting it with one of those bedliner coatings. He said no, they trap dirt and it would be awful.

He said he took his off, sanded em down some, and got some Spray paint for plastics and spray painted em, and it worked out pretty good.

I figure ill have to do the same soon.
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

I had that issue with mine. I had them replaced a week before the factory warranty ran out!
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

If the ZR5 Crew Cab flares are the same "spectra gray" as the ZR2's then here is the info I found when looking for some paint:

GM code WA-942B
Dupont code K9821A
PPG # DBC35933 (one pint) & PPG DT870 Medium Temperat (quart). Mixing ratio 1:1

Rustoleum midnight black metallic is supposedly a very close match. I picked up a can the other day @ OSH and the cap color looks real close. I am going to paint a flare tomorrow so I will let you know just how close of a match it turns out to be. :wink:

Steve
Krash3910

Post by Krash3910 »

Thanks for the help.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I painted the whole rear bumper and bumper side pieces today on my Z, and I can say for sure that Rustoleum midnight black metallic is a 99% match to the factory spectra gray. :D

The only reason I say 99% match is because the Rustoleum paint has a little more metallic flake than the spectra gray, but even when 2 panels are right next to each other you can hardly tell that they are different.

steve
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Where did you get that spray paint? OSH? Wheres that?

I bet thats a color I couldnt find a walmart or lowes... sounds to fancy, lol.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I bought the spray paint at OSH (Orchard Supply Hardware) which is just a local hardware store. Any store that sells Rustoleum spray paint should have it or should at least be able to order it for you. :wink:

Here is the info on the can itself:

7250 Black Night Metallic
SKU 0-2006672508-2

Steve
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Did you clear coat it?
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

fallvitals wrote:Did you clear coat it?
No, but it would be a good idea if you want it to last longer. The paint turned out nice, so to avoid any potential problems after adding a clear coat I'll probably just keep the new paint waxed for protection and see how long it lasts that way.

Steve
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bradjh »

stupid question but how do the flares come off? i took out the 2 phillips screws out one on each bottom. it feels like there are clips or something holding it on? Brad
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

bradjh wrote:stupid question but how do the flares come off? i took out the 2 phillips screws out one on each bottom. it feels like there are clips or something holding it on? Brad
Never taken mine off, and I have breifly looked at it, cant recall 100% but i think theres about 8? screws total that hold it on in the same fashion as the ones you took off, just further up the fender well. Might have to take the tire off so you can get a good look.
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bradjh »

Does any one actually know how the flares come off? I hope i do not have to drill out all those little rivets!.
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

I'm having the same thing on the rear driver side, and the beginnings of it on the rear passenger side. I was just looking up the paint code yesterday, and found this online,
http://www.repaintsupply.com/pd_spectre ... c_matt.cfm

Might be worth looking into, but I'd bet that the Rustoleum mentioned is adequate, and cheaper.
Looks to me like mine has two screw on the lower corners, and five little rivets that would need to be drilled and replaced with screws when reinstalling. If you are not comfortable with doing that, I don't think that it would be very difficult to slip paper between the flare and quarter, mask it all off, and paint it on the truck. Bet that is what I'll do when I tackle it.