E-Brake

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

E-Brake

Post by turkeestalker »

When I raised my step rails after lifting my ZR5 with a 2" BL, I routed the emergency brake cable through the holes that were already drilled into the step rail brackets. It didn't seem to throw the line of the cable off by too much, and worked perfectly for some months. Now suddenly, my e-brake fails to hold, it simply releases as soon as I remove my foot from the peddle. The cable looks fine where visible, and everything else looks fine, though I do not have a good understanding of how the system functions exactly, linkage and all. Anyone got any ideas where to look or what for?
Thanks in advance,
Jim
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

The problem is in the foot pedal.I had the same problem. I removed the pedal assembly, and one end of the spring had somehow fouled. once i cleared the spring, it started working again.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

You're right, I removed the assembly and the spring was actually broken, non-fixable. Sixty bucks at the dealer later and it's fixed. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, much appreciated.
Jim
raven2510
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by raven2510 »

what about the opposite?
mine holds fine but will not release even when i hold the handle and pull on the pedel. i have to hit it with a hammer to get it back
1999 Chevy S10 ZR2
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

Sounds like you have the release pawl froze up. If thats not the problem, your cables may be sticking.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

My '98 extended cab was the same way almost. It would stick and take some serious coaxing to get it to release. My '04 crew sarted acting that way a bit before it quit, I was thinking it might have been due to cold weather or something, but was obviously indicative of it breaking. If the cable is free, try removing the assembly, and lubing it well, see that everything is lined up as it looks like it should be. Primarily the large nylon disk running straight with the spring and not off kilter. Not too big of an expense to replace, and I'm sure you could find it cheaper than I did at the dealer.