Squeaky rear?

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Squeaky rear?

Post by fallvitals »

Searched found nothing. I think its a common issue on trucks, but, since I got my truck a few months ago (even noticed this before I bought it) when you get in theres a squeek from the back. When your driving (radio off, windows down) you can hear the squeek.

Its from the rear, drivers side, leaf spring or shock. im assuming its the leaf spring. Doesnt take very much weight on the back at all to make it squeek.

Whats the best way to true and cure this pain in the butt squeek? Im gonna be putting on my Boise SpringWorks kit next weekend I figure, probably the best time to try and fix this squeek. Any ideas?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Check to make sure it is not the e-brake cable rubbing in the bracket. Use compressed air to blow out any dirt from between and spray some dry lube down in between the leaves if you can.
Lowe's carries Dupont Teflon Multi-Use Dry, Wax Lubricant. I like it, but they may no longer be carrying it. At least that is the rumor. Try to find some. All the chain driven motorcycle guys swear by it.
There may be some other dry chain lubes that would work well?
Cat sells a Graphite spray lube that does a good job. Messy , but good. I would not hesitate to use it.

The main thing is to use something that does not gather dirt and accelerate the wear. GM Superlube might work, but I would prefer a dry lube in this application. Superlube is good for the door hinges and T-bar sockets.

When you assemble you spring pack, if the leaves are dirty or rusty, take the time to brush them clean and repaint. Once done paint the pack as best you can. Time taken will be time well spent.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none

Looks like Lowes still sells it. It says it instock at my closest Lowes. So ill swing by there at some point this week before I get my spring kit.

I wouldn't have time to re-paint the springs. Gotta have my vehicle, lol. But it they were realllly bad.... I might just do it then, Just make it fast, spray some heavy coats on it to save time, lol.

But do you think the squeek is far more likely where the springs touch each other (in the pack) or where they mount to their mounting location?

And when I go to install the spring kit, does the stock spring kit come apart, or is there some dissaembly required?

Thanks for the tip. I never never there was such thing as a dry lube.
PGH04ZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by PGH04ZR5 »

I had the same squeak months backs, thought it was a shock or leaf only to come to find it ws the line running thru the curly-Q in the rear drivers wheel well. can't recall if it was a brake line or not at this moment. the line had a rubber boot on it and it would rub the curly-Q causing the squeak.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

fallvitals wrote:...does the stock spring kit come apart, or is there some dissaembly required?
Read the mod page.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

opp,s i ment the stock spring kit, lol... it looks like theres a clamp on bth ends, but i dont see how it comes off?

Im gonna check that brake line today. thanks guys.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

PGH04ZR5 wrote:I had the same squeak months backs, thought it was a shock or leaf only to come to find it ws the line running thru the curly-Q in the rear drivers wheel well. can't recall if it was a brake line or not at this moment. the line had a rubber boot on it and it would rub the curly-Q causing the squeak.
Ill be dipped! Thats what mine is too! I was thinking nawww, that cant be it, that would be too easy!

Now i have to think of a way to make it stop rubbing.. but a heck of a lot easier of a fix then the springs.

Thanks for the help guys!

*Hey, I think Brule got showed up on info for once :poke: :nana: lol but seriously thanks both of ya for the help. Im still gonna pick up a can of that dry lube stuff at lowes next time im out there.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Posted: 17 May 2009 02:16 pm HenryJ wrote:Check to make sure it is not the e-brake cable rubbing in the bracket.
I see you don't READ my posts. ;)

Strange Noises

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

HenryJ wrote:
Posted: 17 May 2009 02:16 pm HenryJ wrote:Check to make sure it is not the e-brake cable rubbing in the bracket.
I see you don't READ my posts. ;)

Strange Noises
Oh snap. you got me. :evil: I looked at it, and thought it was a brake line and not the E-Cable, apperantly im wrong :oops: I thought it was different from what PGH had said.

But im still not sure how exactly to fix this... my first thought was this teflon tape stuf I use for my arrow rest on my bow to quiet the arrow when drawing the bow, but that would wear down pretty fast as much rubbing as takes place there,,, hmmmm.

edit- in the link, you said you used some zip ties to zip tie them together... can't believe your gonna make me go get under that dirty truck again to see what you zip tied together and how to fix it without simply telling me every detail! Geeze !!! lmao :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

2 zip ties later, problem solved :)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Just about everything that needs to be done has been. That fix was over six years ago now. A little digging and you can answer most any question.
Glad you're fixed.
Still gonna try to "teach you to fish" though ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I searched! and came back with one result about a cat convertor....

Apperantly didnt use the right keywords...

Anyways, Hey, I caught three fish last friday :P
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

And one today :lol:

- ThunderII KE7CSK