Does it sound like a fuel filter problem?

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

coolpick
Regular
Regular

Does it sound like a fuel filter problem?

Post by coolpick »

I'll skip the details on the events. But just today, my 2001 Sonoma was kinda sputtering( didn't want to rev more than 2,500 RPM, and when any "regular" amount of throttle was applied it would bog down like crazy(RPMs drop to 800-1000). And now it wont start. I hear the fuel pump going, the starter cranks good, nothing. I have an extra filter, but I cant get to it(truck is park on a busy street, and awkward as hell to get to, without sticking my feet into the road(back to my point of living on a busy street).

So anyways does this sound like a filter problem? We also do have some crappy gas, maybe water? I'm going to give it a try again here in awhile. I have to take it to the shop anyways tuesday to get the window motor fixed.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sounds possible. You do have gas in it right?
You could depress the schrader valve on the line at the manifold to see if you have pressure. A gauge connected at this point would be even better for diagnosis.

Either way swapping the fuel filter is a good step.

If it is is harms way you might try starting it cold after it has sit for a while. Sometimes the contaminates will settle and get you just far enough off the road to make the swap.
If that doesn't work try a few good kicks to the bottom of the fuel tank to bump start a stuck pump? I know you said you heard buzzing. Maybe a bad check valve? Dunno. Hitting it might make you feel better ? ;)

Let us know how it goes.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
coolpick
Regular
Regular

Post by coolpick »

Yeap gas is in it, it was almost on "E" so I stopped to put gas in it, thats when it died on me. I'll give the kicking a try. What is this schrader valve?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

A schrader valve is the same type of valve used in a tire valve stem.
Near the drivers side valve cover , on the fuel line there is a black cap that can be removed to expose the fuel pressure test port. This is where you can depress the valve to check for fuel pressure.

Check out this thread too: truck wont start *solved* (plug failure)
and maybe this one: No power in lower RPM's

If you were low on fuel, it is likely you sucked up all the junk in the bottom of the tank. Adding a clean filter may get you going. Be sure to check out the thread on cleaning the evap vent filter and treat your pump right by running on the top half of the tank. It will last longer.
Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
coolpick
Regular
Regular

Post by coolpick »

Thanks for quick posts, and the links and advice.

-nick