fuel tank leak

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

dmaple

fuel tank leak

Post by dmaple »

:( my fuel tank has a leak can't find one at any auto parts store. can anyone offer some help can it be fixed, how and with what.

thanks
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Rock Auto.com doesn't list one. You can try http://www.car-part.com/ or LMC
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Steel or plastic? Where is the leak and how big?
Year ,make ,model and your location would be helpful.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

You need to stop playing with your iPod Touch HJ, you're double posting :?:

Fat fingers and tiny buttons :lol: -HJ
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
dmaple

Post by dmaple »

Steel tank 01 s-10 crew cab has small pin whole under the plastic guard that would go along the frame rail.
i used a wire wheel to remove the rust and am thinking of repairing it myself with a kit from napa but would like to sand blast entire tank and refinish to look new. any does or donts about this from anyone would help. dealer has this tank for 600.00 u can buy a car for that.
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

I have done a couple restro tanks in the past. First and most important thing to do is drain it empty. Fill it with water. Repete this process. After pulling the pump of course. Now you can blast it. But you might make the week metal even worse. You can then buy some tank seal. There are a couple different kinds on the market. After the tank is completely dry, you can seal it and paint the outside. It does take some time.
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I would not blast it or apply an exterior patch to fix it. Fitting a good used steel or plastic tank from a newer model might be an option?
I would take it to a radiator shop that can seal it.
The radiator shop will steam it out and apply a coating to the interior. This is the only good way to fix a tank that has pin holes. The coating seals any rust and creates a plastic liner to prevent future problems.

Eastwood Used to have a do-it-yourself kit. That might be worth a try, but the radiator shop here does it for just a little more than the kit was IIRC.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I once bought a refurbished tank from a company in Canada. The tank was just over $100. Wasn't for an s-10 but I can't imagine it would be too different. If only I remembered the name of the place it came from as that would most likely help.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Rockauto.com lists three tanks for under $150.00. Take a look and pick the one that looks like yours. I know on my truck, a 2000 sonoma, the ext cab tank is identical to mine.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]