loud click

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

pceh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

loud click

Post by pceh »

Hi, I am not sure if this is the same as the previous post or not. When the truck is at 2K or above in RPM, travelling down the road, I hear a loud click coming from the front driver's side. It clicks every 30 seconds or so. It sounds much like the A/C clutch engaging but it is not the noise. The truck seems to hesitate ever so slightly for a quick second and then continues. The revs do not change. It has made this noise for two years and I cannot seem to isolate it. The truck seems to run fine and I have no other issues. Any ideas?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sounds like the AC clutch engaging. Turn it off and see if it still there. Keep in mind that the defrost positions also use the AC.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
pceh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by pceh »

I thought it might be that as well, but sound is there regardless of whether A/C is on or not.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Disconnect the AC clutch wires at the clutch and see if it is still there.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
pceh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by pceh »

I disconnected the A/C clutch and noise is still present. I thought it may be transmission related, as there is a similar noise on upshift from 2-3, 3-4.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Wheel bearing or ball joints? Brakes?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
pceh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by pceh »

I have checked all the mechanicals - everything is good and tight. No issues with brakes. The click or click squeak is only present when moving down the highway and the truck rpm's are just under 2000rpm. If you travel at a steady speed of 100km/hr, the noise is present about every 40 seconds. I was wondering if this is due to the tranny shifting back and forth out of O/D or converter lockup? Not sure if that makes sense, but it seems that the noise comes from under the hood on the drivers side - but it is hard to isolate. Also, if you park, and keep the engine at 1800 rpm, you do not hear it. It is only present when in motion...