Start up problem

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

DeiselRed
Crew
Crew

Start up problem

Post by DeiselRed »

Recently when I last filled up my tank with gas and let it sit for about a couple hours, I get into my truck to start it and it is taking an awfully long time to fire. This is the second tank that has started to become like this. However, I did throw octane booster and a FI cleaner into my last tank which did make a diferance near half-end of the tank. It is pretty hot and humid here in CT and I was wondering if possibly the weather may have to deal with it? I have been using 87 for a while and have never had any start up issues :?: :?: Any Ideas would be much appreciated.

Matt
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Hows the fuel filter? More than 15k miles on it?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Another temporary cure is turn the key to "run" but, not crank the engine for 10 seconds or so. If, it starts on the second try faster then, it is time to listen to Brule.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You thinking a new pump is in his future? ;) (me too) :mg:

He is probably leaning toward leaky poppets, but these are not as known for dribbling. That is a CPI thing. The complaint would have been misfiring on an SFI engine.

I think the next step after the fuel filter is to go through the fuel system tests to narrow it down.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

Put a pressure gauge on it, turn on the key but don't start it. The pressure will come up when you turn on the key. If the pressure drops off rapidly after the pump cycles on then off, you have the same problem I do.

When you figure out what is causing it, let me know. I don't have a clue.

James
2001 S10 Crew (wife's mail truck)
2002 S10 Crew, 2003 S10 Blazer
2006 K2500 5 speed
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:................I think the next step after the fuel filter is to go through the fuel system tests to narrow it down.
I am sorry, you're absolutely correct. I am starting to confuse different flavors of vehicles. :lol: The filter and pump is pretty much a combined problem on some rigs. We should actually be grateful at our filter's location.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

JaVeRo wrote:When you figure out what is causing it, let me know. I don't have a clue.
Here's your clue: Fuel System Diagnosis , Testing fuel pump

- ThunderII KE7CSK
DeiselRed
Crew
Crew

Post by DeiselRed »

Thank you for the info guys.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Do the easy stuff first. Check the ignition components, cap rotor, plugs. Air cleaner. Clean the throttle body.
All the basics. That gives you a clean slate and good starting point.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
DeiselRed
Crew
Crew

Post by DeiselRed »

Thank you. You guys are very helpful. Will keep you updated.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

I can certainly understand how the recent additives have got everyone thinking fuel system but start up issues always make me suspicious...

[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

When my Crew Cab did the same exact thing, it turned out to be leaking injectors. GM replaced the old SCPFI system for free with the newer MPFI system.

Sequential Central Port Fuel Injection to Multi Port Fuel Injection Upgrade

Steve
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Could be fuel system and well worth checking out but Barch has a good point. Had a cap failure not long ago that drove me nuts. Acted like a wet cap complete with cross-firing symptoms. Cap was near new. Replaced rotor ran good. 2 days later same problem replaced cap and all has been well since. No obvious carbon tracks or other defects could be found on cap that caused problem.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

It may be possible that the computer is not giving the command to start the fuel pump, and it is starting when the engine builds oil pressure. I've had this problem on other GM vehicles. the easy check is to have some one turn the key on while you listen (with the fuel cap off) at the fuel filler.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I can hear my pump come up to pressure sitting in my cab. I simply turn the key to full on and listen for the pump to stop, crank the motor and away we go. 8)
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Hearing the fuel pump does not mean that it is making good pressure and holding it. :wink:

In order to rule out fuel related problems you need to do a pressure test with a guage. The test guages that have an air bleed valve are more accurate than the others. Check the fuel pressure before the engine starts and after.

Steve
DeiselRed
Crew
Crew

Post by DeiselRed »

But also my issue is that its about a 50/50 chance of the starting up problem. Thats why I was leaning towards more of spark plugs/wires and such like that. If it was a fuel pump or injectors wouldnt it always have problem starting up?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Not necessarily. Both can be intermittent. Do the tests , that will tell the tale.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
DeiselRed
Crew
Crew

Post by DeiselRed »

Yes sir, Thursday the results will come in. My theory is that I actually ran my truck very low on gasoline by accident a couple weeks ago. I think I could have damaged my fuel pump or burned it out because I was so low, (under a galon in the reserve) untill I got to the gas station. So that's my theory. Deffinatly not bad gas because I threw 93 into it about a full tank!! God what a difference in performance compared to 87 though! And when it does start, It almost wants to die out and slowly come to life. I think im just not holding enough pressure at start. But thank you Henry J for everything. You are the S-10 God :D
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You might need to change that fuel filter again. Sometimes you suck up all the garbage in the bottom of the tank when you run that low.
It would be worth changing before you condemn the fuel pump.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
DeiselRed
Crew
Crew

Post by DeiselRed »

I will do that Henry J. But I will have the fuel pressure test just to be in good measures :D. I will keep you updated

Edit: Fuel Filter is getting installed tommarow by myself and a friend. Will let you know if that is the cause.
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

If you're approaching 100k miles pay attention to the fuel pump as a potential issue. My pump died around 120k but it was acting up for quite some time (months). The truck wouldn't start on the first turn of the key. It would turn over on the 2nd turn of the key.
I also did exactly what HenryJ suggested, new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter. At first I thought it was advanced corrosion on the distributor so I removed the vent screens.

I had the buzzing sound from the fuel pump the entire time until one day.....silence. dead fuel pump

Good luck
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
DeiselRed
Crew
Crew

Post by DeiselRed »

If the fuel pump is an issue. That will be determined tommarow once I get a fuel pressure test done. For now, I am doing my fuel filter today. Im leaning towards a bad fuel filter or pump still though. We will see what the results give. I will get to the bottom of it!

Matt
DeiselRed
Crew
Crew

Post by DeiselRed »

Fuel Filter was done today by me and a friend. And I Can say that the entire contents in my filter was completly black. I honestly think that was the stock filter that it has ever had because it was a BI*** To get off. The last 4 start ups have been clean and crisp. I think it has been resolved. I will let you know if the problem does arise again within the next day or two.

Matt.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I think you found your problem. :thumb:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

That's great news! It's a lot cheaper and easier than swapping out the fuel pump. :)
DeiselRed
Crew
Crew

Post by DeiselRed »

Haha yeah it is. And even then I am under a extended 3 year warranty when I bought the vehicle. And Yep I think the problem is solved. Thank you for your guidance everyone :wink: :wink:
DeiselRed
Crew
Crew

Post by DeiselRed »

Back to the drawing board. Start up's became weak again and taking long time to fire while cranking over. I was an idiot and cancled my appointment to get a fuel pressure test done because I thought i solved the problem. Now I have to wait untill monday. Will post results of the test.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

They have these stores that sell fuel pressure testers. Around here they are called Auto parts stores.
You can probably buy a tester for less than a shop will charge to test it for you and you will probably do a better job by following the directions we have posted.

If you can air up a tire, you have all the skills needed to attach the fuel pressure gauge.

Think about it. You might even be able to help someone else someday. Tools are never a bad investment.
There may be stores that will rent the gauge too?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

You really are a CLASS ACT Brule !! :woohoo:
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
DeiselRed
Crew
Crew

Post by DeiselRed »

Ended up doing the test today. Looked over a few things. And after I did everything as shown I figured it out. Fuel pressure regulator. Problem solved.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

DeiselRed wrote:Ended up doing the test today. Looked over a few things. And after I did everything as shown I figured it out. Fuel pressure regulator. Problem solved.
How did you determine that the regulator is the problem? What were the test results with the key on engine off, and with the engine running? :?:

Steve
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

Did you bypass the regulator to determine it was faulty? Could you share the troubleshooting methodology?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It is all in the Fuel diagnosis link above. That checks, pump, regulator, etc.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

Copy. Thanks Brule, I'll check it out....missed that one....