Engine Heater?

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Engine Heater?

Post by bradjh »

I am going to be parking my truck outside this winter. I;. already dreading the cold temp in the truck. Thinking about putting on an engine heater.. Do they cause any problems? which is best oil pan? engine block, or one that circulates the coolant?

Brad
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Engine Block Heater

Block Heater

They are not problem prone. Keep good coolant in the system and you will be fine. I prefer to warm the coolant as it warms the whole engine.
With the freeze plug heater the coolant circulates through convection. These are the only REAL option as there is not room for a hose heater.

One more thing to consider is a cabin heater It really is nice to have defrosted windows and a warm cab when you jump in.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bradjh »

thanks henry J but i was talking about the kind you can buy from jc whitney, the tank type that circulates the coolant, the magnetic that you stick to oil pan or the kind you adhesive on the oil pan.. anyone ever used those they seem a little easier to install..

Brad
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I guess I should preface this with, I have one and tried it. There is no room for the tank type in the engine compartment. It is still a convection heater.
While they may look like they would pump the fluid, that is not the case. They can not be mounted in any position. They must be mounted upright and have sufficient coolant above them to circulate properly. If there is not , they burn up. The installation usually requires installing a nipple in one of the bock drains off the side of the engine. Take a look , they are less than convenient. Our heater hoses are not really an option as they all come off the top of the engine.
This type does work pretty well. A ball at the bottom prevents reverse flow. They do get very hot and require a little space around them. I don't think they will start a fire, but they can melt conduit or damage wires. A plastic fenderwell would worry me. I am not against them as I installed them on a truck and loader in the fleet. They can be a problem as they tend to leak, but most times a new hose and clamp fix the problems. They tend to cook the hoses sometimes.
Anyway, I had one on the shelf and thought I would use it since it was there. It just didn't work.
If you think you can make one work, I have a new Kats 1500 watt tank heater on the shelf. In the box with all the directions. You can have it for half price plus shipping.

My next thought was the lower hose heater. Yup, I have one of those lying around too. Again , no good place to install. Things are just too tight with the belt so close to that hose. It needs to be installed in a vertical section, and that just is not very good on these.

I'm not a fan of the oil pan heater. You would have to glue the pan heater on our pan is aluminum so the magnets don't work. They do have models that can be epoxied in place. These really are a very indirect way of heating. It works OK on a big truck with lots of oil and a steel pan, but even then it comes a distant second to a coolant heater. I don't like toasting the oil anyway. All that crud on the bottom tends to really cook in place after a while. Granted the only engines I have rebuilt are diesel that had pan heaters, but still I would rather find a different way.
The magnet heaters could be attached to a good place on the engine block. Take a look. There really isn't a good place to attach one. It needs a good surface to transfer the heat. Things are just too tight.

The freeze plug heater is the best option and the cheapest too. It takes just a little more work to install, but it really is not that bad. Anyone with a little wrenching experience can do it.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bradjh »

ok sounds like the freeze plug one is the way to go can i get more detail on the install or even a step by step i follow directions good and can turn a wrench
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

HenryJ wrote:The directions will tell you that it installs on the rear LH side plug.
After draining the coolant , It is installed in the left rear, clocked to 6 o'clock ,the instructions were pretty good , other than I used a 14" pry bar both for punching the soft plug in and ,braced against the exhaust manifold, to pry it out. There is no way to get pliers or Vice-grips in there.

It was about a 15-30 min job
HenryJ wrote: Lift the flap in the left hand inner fenderwell. Look under the steering shaft below the exhaust manifold to the side of the block. The cord should plug into the heater installed in the LH side rear freeze plug.

The other end can be routed to a convenient place up front and zip tied in place. Mine exits through the hole in the front valance near the frame horn.
The instructions that come with it are really very good. They will explain it pretty well.
Like it says above, use a 14" pry bar to punch the freeze plug in. Then using that bar braced against the exhaust manifold hook the lip and pry it out sideways. it will come out easy. They are "soft" plugs.
Installation is easy. Clock it correctly and tighten the nut to compress and expand the plug.
It is going to take you longer to drain and refill than install the plug.
This is a great time for a good flush and start over with fresh coolant.
If I can help clear things up after you read the installation instructions, I will do my best. just ask.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bradjh »

Ok where can i get the freeze plug heater? autozone advance or do i have to order it from the dealer?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The parts number is in that other thread, Zerostart part # ZRO 310-0057
Many auto parts stores carry that brand. There may be others. You do not have to buy from the dealer, but it is an option as well.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

NAPA stores used to carry the Katz brand heaters if you care to check there.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

bradjh wrote:Ok where can i get the freeze plug heater? autozone advance or do i have to order it from the dealer?
LMCTruck at... http://www.LMCtruck.com

Part# 32-2492 Engine Block Heater Kit 4.3L Chevy/GMC 88-05 $22.95
Part# 32-2495 Replacement Cord $12.95

Page 128 of most recent catalog.