Fuel gauge

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Fuel gauge

Post by bradjh »

Hello this morning when i went to work i had about 3/4 of a tank and 175 miles, then i go to lunch and now it reads full tank but i did not fill up.. Shut it off and tried again still full. so i filled the tank and reset trip so i can watch mileage, what can i do to fix this? what is wrong? I have the scan gauge II but i have never been able to get it to read the amount of fuel in the tank.. i appreciate any help..

Brad
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Sounds like the sensor in the tank is on the way out. You could try to run some Marvel Mystery Oil in the tank to see if it frees up the float. The ScanGuage will not directly read the fuel level but if it is regularly accurate with the number of gallons at fillup you can use the trip function to scroll through and see estimated miles before empty.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Read the "Fuel pump stopped" thread. It may be an issue with the connector. Check out my last post that includes some of the TSB information.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bradjh »

added mystery oil hope it works, if not what do i do next?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Replace the module and connector.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I went without a fuel gauge in my '97 ZR2 for a couple of years. I would fuel up at 100 miles using the trip odometer and wait for the fuel pump to fail.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

My gauge has been out for quite a while now. Been estimating with odometer and Scan Gauge II. Pump will fail sooner or later and I already have a replacement on hand for it.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Marvel oil is a good cleaner, lube,and preventative measure, but not known as a repair. If your gauge sensor is already gone there is no repair, only replacement will fix it. Go with the fill up by miles driven system till the pump dies then replace the whole thing.
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
dualsport
Crew
Crew

Post by dualsport »

hey guys. i'must in the middle of bangin my head against this project (and getting a heck of alot of dirt in my eyes doing it! :) and thought I'd pass on a bit of info that i've recently "learned." i bought the delphi and with it came the update wiring harness. the instructions indicate to remove the 'fuel pump fuse.' the dealer initially told me that meant the relay *(?!?!) but i pressed him a little and he put me on hold and verified that it's marked "ECM B" in the fuse block. my particular vehicle is an '01 sonoma crew with the 4.3. also... had a heck of a time with the tank straps. removed the bracket that's attached to the frame (duh?) and the whole process went a LOT smoother from then on out.
good luck fellas and thanks for puttin out all your time and info.
2001 Sonoma CC, TB crank, 2" shackles, 2" BL, Helper Springs, 1.25/2.5 Spacers, 31" BFG ATs, Quadbeams, messed up 4wd switch :) miscellaneous squeaks and pings...
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Thanks for the update. I hate searching threads and the OP never gets back with members!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]