not cranking

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

bowtieman
Regular
Regular

not cranking

Post by bowtieman »

my crew cab has personal issue's this is what I have figured out so far and its kinds weird when I try and start it and it doesn't start the driver side window will not roll down all of the others will. Of course I do not here the loud as hell fuel pump when I leave the key on. The whole approximate time is around 6 to 10 mins from the first time I try and start it until it does start.. I have read all of the post on the crappy fuel pumps that we have (thanks chevy) so I have a new fuel pump ready to put in if i ever get a day off and its not monsooning. but i wondering if thats really the problem with it maybe its a short of some sort but it only happen ever once in a while its really gonna be hard to track down. I have a body lift on it and i'm going to check the wiring around the tank.....i still think my truck wants it me time though....
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

The driver's side window thing was really common shortly after they first came out I am thinking that mine failed within the fist six months. You have to also remember it is worked the most often but there was a TSB or alert on the things.

The fuel pumps have been known to be a problem and Brule recently posted info on it. Practice the searching with him as the author and you should be able to find it.

On the pumps.......don't go cheap! I have seen them fail in less that 2 weeks and that was on a difficult trail at the Super Lift off road park 2 yrs ago. I have a coworker who replaced five in a 2000 Suburban. Start saving up for it because it is gonna hurt.

Common denominator with windows and fuel pumps? Nope! I can't see it but am willing to place, a healthy bet on being proved wrong.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Lemme get this straight, you hear the fuel pump running when you use the driver's window control? :?:
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
bowtieman
Regular
Regular

window

Post by bowtieman »

The driver side window works all the time unless the truck doesn't want to start.. That's why I was wondering if they might be connected some how. and I have read pretty much everything there is about the fuel pumps not working and getting the high dollar one....The reason for my first post was to see if anyone else had noticed the same problem or maybe never thought about them...And no I can hear the fuel pump while the truck is running not when using the window......I though writing some of my observations on here might help someone out....I'll just keep from posting and search from now own....
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

We are just trying to see if there is a common denominator with your issues the more detailed info you post the more of us can scratch our heads and tyr to thing of what might be wrong. I would check for a ground wire issue it MIGHT be the issue, but it's at least a place to start.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

The more details the better. By saying "doesn't want to start" you are saying it just cranks and not start? When did you change the fuel filter last. That would another place to look. If you change it, don't fight with the plastic bracket. If, it looks at you wrong then just cut it and zip tie the new filter in place.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
bowtieman
Regular
Regular

service

Post by bowtieman »

It was last summer I installed a new fuel filter on it and bought the little tool that doesn't work to take the plastic off. I did that along with the whole tune up project. fuel filter, plugs, wires, rotor, and a cap. This past summer I put in a new water pump and radiator the radiator had gotten a whole in it at the plastic top on the driver side also changed out the dexcool :evil: with the green stuff change put the thermostat also. I thought that might have been one of the problems with losing water and the truck running hot. now I think it was an old radiator and the heater core I will be placing the heater core soon.

As far as the whole not cranking thing it only happens once in a while not everyday maybe once a week. There is plenty of power for the engine to turn over. When the truck decides not to start I will try and start the truck it will act like its going to start but as the engine begins it cycle it acts like its missing something fuel of course...you can try and start it but it will just chug and chug all the while the fuel pump will not be running..I know this because you can hear the fuel pump running / whining. I have read the other post on this subject and thought it would be a good idea to replace the pump. Then I noticed when the event starts the driver side window will not lower but all of the other windows would roll down. So I thought maybe its a short or maybe a combination of the two.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Lemme think here. Don't get a bruised ego like I almost did here. Mileage on the crew? Extended times sitting if, you were in downtown Baghdad? Everything helps!
bowtieman
Regular
Regular

info

Post by bowtieman »

The mileage is around 110,000 its a daily driver to and from work round trip is 20 miles. Although I have been to Baghdad twice I don't live there I live in south east Texas 90 mile from Houston. Really only sits when I'm at work or at home work could range from 8 hours to 16 hours, home could be two days or ten mins. I try and keep the tank full also the fuel gauge is off but I read that in the other post's that goes along with the faulty unit.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

I know this'll sound weird but happened to me. Distributor cap?? I had a nearly new Wells cap on mine and all of a sudden starting troubles. Cranked over fine but as if no fuel or spark then occasional kick back against the starter or even back-fire. Replaced rotor first worked one day then failed the very next. Replaced cap with Delco and trouble gone. No visible signs of short-over, cracks, or moisture on Wells cap after removal either.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I guess I would try the fuel pressure. Rent a gauge at your local parts place.