Fuel pump wiring instructions : diagram of the color code

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

bowtieman
Regular
Regular

Fuel pump wiring instructions : diagram of the color code

Post by bowtieman »

put in the new fuel pump today and with the crappy directions it came with a new connector does any one have a diagram of the color code. I hook mine up and its barley running now.!!! there is a gray wire,two black wires, one white wire. the connector that was on the truck had a purple wire,black with white strip,black, and gray. on the connector it showed A,B,C,D I looked at the new connector and it had A at one end and a D at the other so I hooked them up accordingly. Obviously that's not right any help... The gauge is not working either...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The instructions for installing the Delphi pump , using the new GT280 connector, show four possible combinations.

#1:
ORN/BLK-BLK/WHT
GRY-GRY
PPL-PPL
BLK-BLK

#2:
ORN/BLK-BLK (small gauge)
GRY-GRY
PPL-PPL/WHT
BLK-BLK (large gauge)

#3:
ORN/BLK-BLK (small gauge)
GRY-GRY
PPL-PPL
BLK-BLK (large gauge)

#4:
ORN/BLK+BLK-BLK
GRY-GRY
PPL-PPL/WHT

ORN/BLK= Fuel level sensor reference low
GRY= Fuel pump power
PPL= Fuel level signal
BLK= Fuel pump ground

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
bowtieman
Regular
Regular

Post by bowtieman »

Well if there was anyone on here that was going to know what it was that would have been the Jedi s-10 Master. Thanks HJ you are the master.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You just got lucky that I just replaced mine.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
bowtieman
Regular
Regular

well

Post by bowtieman »

I tried all the combos and nothing still running rough and smoking so back to the old one.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You can not just "try the combinations". Only one set of wiring color codes will match up correctly. If you do not see the correct wiring colors , then you will have to connect the correct wires per the vehicles wiring to the last in my post that designates the pumps wiring color codes.

Connected incorrectly, there is a possibility of damage to the fuel pump and or the fuel level sender.

A simple fuel pressure test will tell you if your pump is functioning correctly. It should work, or not. Generally the injectors will not function without the proper fuel pressure.
If you are running rough, I would suspect something else. The pump is usually a go or no go situation.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
bowtieman
Regular
Regular

Post by bowtieman »

The truck ran perfect until i took out the old pump and place the new pump in. it runs like its trying to set it self its running real lean or rich it has never smoked before and now its smoking real bad and running rough when it will stay running at all. the wires on the truck are purple, black,black with white strip,and gray. the connections on the connector is black, black, white, and gray. the directions have no way to hook up the color pairs it just say to use the blue spice for 18 g wire and the red for the 16 g wire. i went to auto zone and they pulled one off the self and it too had the same directions. They all scratched there heads.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Pay a little more and buy a better pump.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
bowtieman
Regular
Regular

Post by bowtieman »

What was your color wires maybe i can figure out why its not working.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

- ThunderII KE7CSK
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Get an exchange, I'm on my third and last Autozone pump. First one went out in a week, second after two months. I've ran the third one until now, well over the one year warranty period. It is not uncommon for their parts to be bad when new.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
bowtieman
Regular
Regular

Post by bowtieman »

I did not buy my pump from auto zone I went to see if they had a digram of the wiring for the new connections on the pump that came up empty they pulled out one of there pumps and it had the same directions as the one I have. I bought mine from ebay it said it was a delfi but i could not find any markings on the pump also the picture on the web site showed the right one with the correct connection. The one they sent has the new connection. So I put in my old pump which is not working either. I email the the ebay seller to check and see if indeed they sent me the correct fuel pump I should hear something today. More than likey and its my own fault I should have bought the pump from a credited place but you live you learn. After reading all of the bad pump threads I though I could get any delfi and it would work but with the new connector
and the really bad directions with how to wire it up I think i'm going to try to find one with the same connector.
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

Had mine repllaced a year and a half ago. Didn't have a garage or anyplace to do it, had to have it done. ($700 parts and labor)

They used the Delphi pump and have had no problems

KNOCK ON WOOD
[size=75]"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things"[/size]
bowtieman
Regular
Regular

Post by bowtieman »

well went to car quest today and bought a new delphi pump connected it with the right wires this time came with way better directions but still not firing Im going to check the connections with a test light and im going to check fuel pressure. I checked for fire at the coil and it was good I then checked fire at the spark plugs and i have fire there....Any thoughts?

I checked for power at the fuse and it was good I checked for power at the connection both sides and nothing I checked the connector and the purple wire is getting power this was all done while the key was turn forward and all the dash lights were on....bad wire??? or is there two different fuse's?
the one that came with the pump is a small fuse the fuse box under the hood shows it to be a large square fuse. I checked all the fuse's in side the breaker box under the hood even if it wasn't 20amp fuse they are all hot....
again any thoughts?
Last edited by bowtieman on Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Check your fuses and relay.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
bowtieman
Regular
Regular

Post by bowtieman »

is there more than one fuse? if so would they be in the main box under the hood or next to the driver side door? I pull the big relay out there are four or five of the same ones in the box under the hood that are used for different things I swapped out two of them the horn and the pump relay as it says on the back of the lid and it worked.
bowtieman
Regular
Regular

update

Post by bowtieman »

I after checking for power to the pump with a test light I got nothing so today I ran a new wire from the fuse box to the pump checked for power and nothing I spliced into the old gray wire right before the pin so i took out the wire and placed it on the ecm2 fuse and i had power at the pump but still nothing as far as starting. I don't know if the new fuel pumps are as loud as the old one but i heard nothing. tomorrow I will replace the ground wire to see if maybe that's the problem.
bowtieman
Regular
Regular

fixed it

Post by bowtieman »

It was the ground wire i ran a brand new power wire with no luck then today
I ran a new ground wire and BAM!!! it worked thanks for all the help.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Just glad you solved the issue. Thanks for updating us.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Just curious. Since ths truck was running okay on the old pump and this was "preventive" maintenance do you think you had a ground problem in the first place or it resulted from the trouble you had getting it wired properly? Not criticizing. Just think extra input might help someone else later.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

Bad grounds (especially not quite fully open) are real buggers to chase down, and can cause MANY weird problems. I've spent more hours than I care to admit, chasing bad grounds on all kinds of equipment.
bowtieman
Regular
Regular

Post by bowtieman »

I do think it was the ground all along. Why do I say that well as I posted before when the truck would not start the driver side window would not roll down just the driver side window all the others were fine.and it only happened when the pump would not work and the truck would not start. I don't know what the window motor has to do with the fuel pump motor but they must be on the same circuit for just that one window not to work.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Odds are you'll find a bad ground at a "connector" like I did on my 90 Buick. Had to split the wire loom near the passenger door under the carpet and voila! Hidden there was an aluminum connector with multiple tabs for grounds all corroded up. In that case I lost the pass 6-way seat, rear window defroster, and pass side window. Got rid of the aluminum tab connector and no more problems. Was a bugger to find though.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.