Hiccups and stalling

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Hiccups and stalling

Post by Horsehammerr »

In the past when running down the road and the motor started hiccuping almost steadily it would mean only one thing, change the fuel filter. Now I'm getting a short hiccup once in a while and sometimes a total stall when coming to a stop. I think this is signs of more than filter problems. What should I consintrate on ? Guess work just costs too much. :?:
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Cap and rotor corrosion?
Mine did the same thing last week. The moist weather seems to accentuate it. The cap was getting pretty bad. I have not had a miss since.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I thought I'd check that out this afternoon, now I know I will. Maybe just dry it out and clean it up ?
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Check the distibutor vent screens for blockage.
Moisture will build up inside the cap if these screens are blocked.
Most people just remove the 2 small screens.

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

We don't have vent screens on all the the plastic housings that I have seen. It is blocked half at the top and opposed they other half at the bottom. They do have to be kept cleared though. Compressed air works to clear them.

Older aluminum housings did have vent screens.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

How about Whiteperformace 6671-BK complete NEW distributor, aluminium body ,steel shaft, gear, w/ cap&rotor brass contacts, CNC, 5 yr. warranty $49.95 :idea:
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Horsehammerr wrote:How about Whiteperformace 6671-BK complete NEW distributor, aluminium body ,steel shaft, gear, w/ cap&rotor brass contacts, CNC, 5 yr. warranty $49.95 :idea:
Well no input on it, so you gonna get it? Let us know how it works out.
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I just cleaned up my cap and rotor then changed the fuel filter. Everything is good for now ,but when I do my full tune-up I will get the 6671-BK . I mean it's only a couple bucks more than good cap and rotor and is aluminium,steel and brand new cmplete. 8)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Might be worth some research to see if that is the one they were having problems due to misalignment of the cam position sensor in the housing. Seems like it was one of the aluminum models made in China.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Don't find any search info about your stated product Brule. The one I found on ebaymotors is said to be made by TopStreetPerformance, Downy , Ca.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Try some of the other forums. I don't recall quite where I was reading about the problems.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I talked with Charlie at White Performance and he said the problem they had in the past was with a Procomp distributor shaft misalignment. I just ordered the 6671-BK, will let you know. 8)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The problems I am referring to was with an improperly indexed crankshaft position sensor. That is not a problem on a V-8 that requires phasing and is adjustable. However ours is locked and not adjustable. My guess is that a custom adjustable hold down could be used and then correctly phase the sensor. I don't know if anyone ever figured out the solution.

I wish you luck and look forward to the install report.

- ThunderII KE7CSK