Fuel Pump Started

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Fuel Pump Started

Post by Horsehammerr »

My last post was under " Fuel Pump Stopped ". It did yesterday as I moved from a stop sign. No sound of the pump from the tank and no go. Same as last time, just died. Towed it home , jacked it up and kicked it. :x This morning I went out to start the tear down and Thought I'd give it a try. The pump came right on as usual and it fired half way through the first crank of the starter ?? :shock: :?: :thumb: I wonder where I should look for a problem ? 8) There was no sign of any electrical malfunction, everything worked fine in my run through check. :shrug:
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Fuel Pump Started

Post by HenryJ »

I have had them stop and work again several times before they finally quit for good. I would stay close to home until you resolve this. Your days may be numbered.

BTW, I tried to blame the intermittent problems on relays, filters, operator error, etc. Finally the pump died. I put in a good one and it has not been back.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

After reading the thread about the connector be a big reason for pump failure. I'm going to look close at this and see if a new connector my be the answer. I can really think of no other reason for a failure then restart after some cool down time and a vibration in tow to my house. Seems like a bad or loose connection, or both. :roll: 8)
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I've had bad fuel pump wiring connectors give me similar problems on other GM vehicles. A simple resistance test on the power wire near the fuel pump can tell you if a wire or connector is bad. I've seen a few brittle and slightly melted fuel pump connectors inside the tanks. I'm not sure if any of the late model S10's have the same problem. I agree with Brule that you are most likely on borrowed time with your current fuel pump, and as we all know it will probably crap out on you when your far away from home or when you have a full tank.

Steve
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I've been having these thoughts about this junk intank fuel pump system we all put up with on our S-10 Crewcabs. Is there not a way to modify our fuel delivery system to an out of tank pump ? There has to be a way. :?: 8)
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Hard to see how since our fuel delivery system is directly tied to the computer management of the engine as far as I understand it.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The problem lies in that the required pressures are very high and there is a cooling issue. The fuel in the tank is the reservoir of coolant / lubricant for the pump. If there is a leak it is contained.
There are a few higher pressure pumps out there. you will find the in tank OEM pump cheap when compared.
Half the cost in replacing the pump is the sender module. A few have replaced just the pump. Usually the sender is on the way out too. It is a good idea to change them together. In the case of the cheap pumps, they usually come with a cheap , ill designed, sender too. That needs replacement as well when the pump prematurely fails.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I don't guess I knew there were three parts. I was only aware of the pump and the fuel gauge, or is that the sender ? If so mine works great. I just wondered if I could install an inline pump and pull the gas through the intank pump? :?: 8)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The fuel gauge is mounted in the dash instrument cluster. The sender for it is on the fuel pump module assembly. ;)
Horsehammerr wrote:... I just wondered if I could install an inline pump and pull the gas through the intank pump?
No. You would have to remove it and install a pick up tube.

I am sure it could be made to work. I am not sure how well though. The Walboro pumps might work. They run around $200 with the adapters needed to fit. Then you would have to wire it all up. Not generally used in street applications I don't know how long they would last under daily use. You might get a couple years out of one?

- ThunderII KE7CSK