Sloppy front end/steering

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

pceh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sloppy front end/steering

Post by pceh »

I have a 2002 crew that has 172,000 kms. I has a bit of play in the steering wheel (about 1/2 inch). when you turn the steering wheel, you can feel a short dead spot before it begins to turn the wheels. What should I be looking at to replace?

Also, I would like to replace all of the front end bushings, do you know who sells a kit for our truck?

Thanks
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Sloppy front end/steering

Post by HenryJ »

There are plenty of places to look for the slack. The first place would be the Pitman arm and Idler arms.
Getting lower ball joints, idler arm, & pitman arm , My front end project
Look closely at the ball joints : Balljoint failures , Ball Joint replacement
Don't forget to check the wheel bearings while you're there: Front Wheel Bearings Diagnosis
Here is a good place to look on the bushings topic: Cracked Upper control arm bushings Update!
Don't forget to check the steering box for wear too. I replaced mine with a ZQ8 steering gear box ( quick ratio )

If you feel uncomfortable with all this diagnostic work, take it to an alignment shop. Most will help you diagnose what needs to be repaired and then charge you when you come back for the alignment.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Also, don't forget the possibility of the factory rag joint doing this as well!

Flaming River U-Joint Mod
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

pceh wrote:I Also, I would like to replace all of the front end bushings, do you know who sells a kit for our truck? Thanks
Energy Suspension sells all the polyurethane bushings for the Crew Cab (upper a-arms, lower a-arms, leaf springs, sway bar. body mounts, etc.). One thing worth pointing out is that the ES upper a-arm bushings aren't all that great because they are not bonded to the shells like the originals which results in for and aft movement and bushing deterioration. The rest of the ES bushing work great! Another and possibly better alternative would be Moog thermoplastic bushings which are harder than the factory bushings, but not as hard as urethane. The thermoplastic bushings are bonded to the shells like the originals. :wink:

Steve
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

I am running the Energy Suspension lower bushings and the Moog Thermoplastic upper bushings like Steve said. They are holding up very well.

James
2001 S10 Crew (wife's mail truck)
2002 S10 Crew, 2003 S10 Blazer
2006 K2500 5 speed