Towing / Pulling a fullsize truck across town

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

LUVMY02CREW
Crew
Crew

Towing / Pulling a fullsize truck across town

Post by LUVMY02CREW »

HELP!!! I hope some of you are awake and on the internet this morning :lol:

Yes, I know I should have asked these towing / pulling questions yesterday :oops: , but I was hoping I wouldn't have to.

My father in law's belt tensioner broke in our driveway yesterday. His truck is a fullsize Ford, early 90's model and the tensioner's bolt actually broke off in the bracket, so he decided not to attempt to fix it himself. He asked me late last night if I would mind helping him tow / pull it to a mechanic's shop today.

Well now, I think I've got my hands full on this situation.....It will need to be towed across town about 4 miles. Slight rolling hills with probably less than 10 stop lights / signs along the way. I'm sure my crew can handle the weight, I'm just not sure how to approach the hook up and pull itself.

Questions:
- I'm pretty sure he has a chain that we could use, but that doesn't seem like the best option, what would be?
- If we could get a car dolly(the 2 wheel kind) would towing it that way be best?
- If we use his chain or I go get a tow strap, what is the best way to connect them and where on my truck?
- What do I need to do driving wise during the tow, besides go slow and take it easy?

Any other thoughts and ideas would be great, Thanks,
[size=75]ALWAYS pray for and expect the best, but be prepared for the worst! Life seems to operate a little smoother for me this way[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Towing / Pulling a fullsize truck across town

Post by HenryJ »

Maybe too late, but...
For that short trip a two strap would work fine. The chain is just too risky. Use a nice heavy strap without hooks.
If you have a receiver hitch on the back, use that. A clevis through the ball mount hole would be ideal, but might not be an option.
The ball hitch hole in the bumper would be the next choice. Finding a large clevis to fit that might be difficult, although a farm supply may have one.
Plan C you are going to need to make an attachment point. Install a hook, clevis, or maybe bolt a piece of chain to the frame. It needs to be positioned so that the strap will not rub on sharp edges.
Wrapping the strap around a spring shackle , over the frame, around the axle and things like that are asking for trouble.

If you don't have an attachment point, maybe this was a wake up call and a receiver hitch should be in your future?

Slow and easy. Have the towing rig slow you and stop you. Agree on hand signals for slow, stop and start.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
LUVMY02CREW
Crew
Crew

Post by LUVMY02CREW »

HenryJ wrote:Maybe too late, but...
Not too late....he usually doesn't get moving on sundays till round 11 or 12, he likes his sleep :|
HenryJ wrote: ....chain is just too risky. Use a nice heavy strap without hooks....
....If you have a receiver hitch on the back, use that. A clevis through the ball mount hole would be ideal, but might not be an option....
....Slow and easy. Have the towing rig slow you and stop you. Agree on hand signals for slow, stop and start.
I'll take a look to be sure about my hitch set up and take a look under his truck to check attachment points. I don't have a tow strap, so I guess a trip to a store is going to happen this morning. I'll also be looking at the clevis hitches if they have some at the store.

10.4 on the no hooks tow strap and hand signals.
[size=75]ALWAYS pray for and expect the best, but be prepared for the worst! Life seems to operate a little smoother for me this way[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If you have a short length of chain that you can bolt together it can be looped over the frame and used to attach the tow strap.
Wallyworld and NAPA have carried some half decent tow straps in the past.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
LUVMY02CREW
Crew
Crew

Post by LUVMY02CREW »

Well, we got 'er done :D
I went to a couple of places in town and finally got this receiver bracket and shackle at Tractor Supply Company for $39.99.

He had a rope that we used and he connected it to his truck so I wouldn't be responsible.
It was a slow go and I only ran a few stop signs and red lights to keep our momentem going(yes, I did make sure the intersections were clear and no coppers were around) :angel:

I will be looking for a Made In USA tow strap and recovery strap soon to keep in truck. The receiver bracket and shackle was not marked so I'm gonna believe that it was made in USA or maybe India like a few other parts in that section were :lol:, at least it didn't directly say made in Cxxxa(no, I don't even like saying that name, much less typing it)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Nice shackle! A very good towing solution that will serve you and likely the next generation well. :bow:

I picked up a good 20k tow strap for free at a "4Wheel parts" grand opening. Keep your eyes open. You can find a good deal.
I carry two straps, two clevis, a pulley block , a few carabiners , tire plug kit and some "mule tape" in my recovery box.

- ThunderII KE7CSK