cleared code, how long take pop back up

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

kxracer
Crew
Crew

cleared code, how long take pop back up

Post by kxracer »

Alright, I took my truck to the shop and had them run the codes. They told me what all of them were, said low coolant could cause one or two of them, and set up an appointement to the shop. It was considerably low on coolant, so I topped that off. They cleared the codes when they scanned them. I was just wondering how long it takes for the trouble codes to pop back? Thanks
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: cleared code, how long take pop back up

Post by 04crewvt »

The codes will come back after a few drive cycles depending on the parameters that set them. I would be more worried about where your coolant went.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
kxracer
Crew
Crew

Post by kxracer »

04crewvt wrote:The codes will come back after a few drive cycles depending on the parameters that set them. I would be more worried about where your coolant went.
The oil looked/looks fine, and it runs like a top. I think the dealership we bought it from changed the coolant(doesn't look very old), so is it possible they didn't get all of the air out of the system? Idk, but I'm pretty sure the cooling system/engine is just fine. I've never checked it (I know, I know), but thinking back, I never noticed the coolant being visible in the tank either. Thanks
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

If they did not use the correct procedure to change the coolant they could have indeed left an air pocket. If it is topped up correctly now I would just keep a close eye on it for now and keep aware if you start to smell coolant. Were you having any issues with heat? Usually you will have a no heat situation if the coolant system is not purged correctly since it tends to leave a pocket in the heater core.

If you have or know anyone with a hand held scanner you can read the live data to see if there are any tests the computer is not finishing yet and also to see if there are any pending codes. Did you get a list of the codes they came up with? Good luck that the codes do not come back.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
kxracer
Crew
Crew

Post by kxracer »

04crewvt wrote:If they did not use the correct procedure to change the coolant they could have indeed left an air pocket. If it is topped up correctly now I would just keep a close eye on it for now and keep aware if you start to smell coolant. Were you having any issues with heat? Usually you will have a no heat situation if the coolant system is not purged correctly since it tends to leave a pocket in the heater core.

If you have or know anyone with a hand held scanner you can read the live data to see if there are any tests the computer is not finishing yet and also to see if there are any pending codes. Did you get a list of the codes they came up with? Good luck that the codes do not come back.
I never did have a problem with the heat. They told me the codes, but I don't remember. 3 of the codes had to deal with the evap system (pressure high, pressure low, and 1 more), and the other one said that the thermostat wasn't getting up to operating temperature. He thought a solenoid might have gone out in the evap system, so....