PremiumGasMiledge is it worth it ?

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

PremiumGasMiledge is it worth it ?

Post by Horsehammerr »

I was just made aware of a change here in good ole Mo. Our premium gas no longer has any corn alcohol in it. I know that crap is a big problem with MPG. I wonder if .20 cents extra per gallon will be worth it ?? :shrug: 8)
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: PremiumGasMiledge is it worth it ?

Post by killian96ss »

Ethanol is bad and good. It makes more power and burns cleaner than gasoline, but it also lowers your gas mileage. It's hard to say if the 20 cent increase will balance out?

Steve
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Tried premium non alcohol in mine and it did not pencil out. Slightly better mpg but not enough more to offset the higher price compared to regular non alcohol gas. Before anybody asks I did a five tank comparison of both over the same roads in the same conditions. There's my :2: worth. 8)
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

I've been having really good mileage with a blend (and I know I'm gonna hear someone yelling at me), of SuperUL and 100LL AvGas. I have been using 5 gals of 100LL to the tank. Yes, I know we have a pre-cat & cat to worry about, BUT when I run that blend I get 25mpg!!! Hard to worry about those darn pesky cats when you're doing that well...
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

roadrunner wrote:Tried premium non alcohol in mine and it did not pencil out. Slightly better mpg but not enough more to offset the higher price compared to regular non alcohol gas. Before anybody asks I did a five tank comparison of both over the same roads in the same conditions. There's my :2: worth. 8)
If non alcohol regular was available in Missouri I would not even consider premium, but the premium is only 2-3 dollars more per tank full. I'll give it a try. 8)
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

Keep us posted on how it works out...
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Jongo8 wrote:Keep us posted on how it works out...
I'll do that. I just topped off with 12.8 gals. of Phillips 66 91oct. I figure after a couple fillups it should be 100% premium. I'll keep the best records I can and pass them along :rock: 8)
LUVMY02CREW
Crew
Crew

Post by LUVMY02CREW »

WileyHunter wrote:I've been having really good mileage with a blend (and I know I'm gonna hear someone yelling at me), of SuperUL and 100LL AvGas. I have been using 5 gals of 100LL to the tank. Yes, I know we have a pre-cat & cat to worry about, BUT when I run that blend I get 25mpg!!! Hard to worry about those darn pesky cats when you're doing that well...
:?: Gonna show my ignorance here, but could you please explain what you mean by SuperUL and 100LL???

I'm just not familiar with those terms used to describe gas.... and that 25mpg has me really intrigued.

Thanks
[size=75]ALWAYS pray for and expect the best, but be prepared for the worst! Life seems to operate a little smoother for me this way[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

SuperUL=Premium unleaded. 100LL=100 octane low-lead gas. And yes, the low lead gas will eventually ruin the cats on our trucks. The lead coats the active element in them (platinum) and they cease to function after that and can begin to build up with contaminates and eventually plug up to the point of either need for removal or replacement.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
LUVMY02CREW
Crew
Crew

Post by LUVMY02CREW »

roadrunner wrote:SuperUL=Premium unleaded. 100LL=100 octane low-lead gas. And yes, the low lead gas will eventually ruin the cats on our trucks. The lead coats the active element in them (platinum) and they cease to function after that and can begin to build up with contaminates and eventually plug up to the point of either need for removal or replacement.

10.4 and thanks...
I kinda thought thats what SuperUL meant, but had no idea about 100LL.
I don't have a precat anymore, but I definately don't want to ruin my main cat, so thats a no go for me on the 100LL....thanks for the heads up 8)
[size=75]ALWAYS pray for and expect the best, but be prepared for the worst! Life seems to operate a little smoother for me this way[/size]
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

Actually, the paperwork from the refinery shows an average Octane Rating of 120's to 130's. I've NEVER (in over 10 years of taking deliveries) seen less than 120.

As far as the Lead content:
As of Jan 2010, 100LL has a TEL content of 1.2 to 2 grams TEL per US gallon (0.3–0.5 g/l) and is the most commonly available and used aviation gasoline. One gram of TEL contains only 3/5 of a gram of lead.
I'm not sure how long the build-up would take, even if I were to use 100LL straight, but remember, I said I'm using a blend of 5 gals of 100LL to the balance of the tank of Super/Premium UL. So 1 tank (theoretically) would contain ~3.6 to 6 grams of lead. Doesn't seem like much to me. There's one guy in town that runs straight 100LL in his '05 Mustang, and has since new, no problems with the cat's to this point. I guess we'll see <?>.
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

WileyHunter wrote:Actually, the paperwork from the refinery shows an average Octane Rating of 120's to 130's. I've NEVER (in over 10 years of taking deliveries) seen less than 120.

As far as the Lead content:
As of Jan 2010, 100LL has a TEL content of 1.2 to 2 grams TEL per US gallon (0.3–0.5 g/l) and is the most commonly available and used aviation gasoline. One gram of TEL contains only 3/5 of a gram of lead.
I'm not sure how long the build-up would take, even if I were to use 100LL straight, but remember, I said I'm using a blend of 5 gals of 100LL to the balance of the tank of Super/Premium UL. So 1 tank (theoretically) would contain ~3.6 to 6 grams of lead. Doesn't seem like much to me. There's one guy in town that runs straight 100LL in his '05 Mustang, and has since new, no problems with the cat's to this point. I guess we'll see <?>.
I do understand the improvement with the lead, but I don't see lowlead for sale in Missouri. I wouldn't worry about the Cat on mine, it's just an expansion chamber, gutted it out about a year ago. Did it to get rid of the loose rattle in it. Didn't effect a thing. 8)
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

Horsehammerr wrote:I do understand the improvement with the lead, but I don't see lowlead for sale in Missouri.
Closest I see to you (based on your profile info) is ~10 miles away, at Taney Co. Airport. http://www.airnav.com/airport/PLK, but from the looks of it, it's D@MN3D expensive there... Use that link/site to shop around for a better price, or try http://www.100LL.com. I wouldn't expect to pay more than $1.00/gal more than Super/Premium UL, but at larger airports the price goes up (some small, way out of the way airports are high priced too) best bet is just shop around like you would any other fuel.
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

WileyHunter wrote:
Horsehammerr wrote:I do understand the improvement with the lead, but I don't see lowlead for sale in Missouri.
Closest I see to you (based on your profile info) is ~10 miles away, at Taney Co. Airport. http://www.airnav.com/airport/PLK, but from the looks of it, it's D@MN3D expensive there... Use that link/site to shop around for a better price, or try http://www.100LL.com. I wouldn't expect to pay more than $1.00/gal more than Super/Premium UL, but at larger airports the price goes up (some small, way out of the way airports are high priced too) best bet is just shop around like you would any other fuel.
Thanks WileyHunter !! :thumb: I know of three private airports in 15 mile radius of me, just didn't click to look there. :whew: :rock: 8)