What transmission does my CC have stock?

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Jerms
Regular
Regular

What transmission does my CC have stock?

Post by Jerms »

My transmission let go a over a month ago. It barely shifts out of first and it has no reverse...makes a constant squeeling noise as well. I'm having trouble finding a replacement. I'm not able to afford one brand new so I'm searching for one from a boneyard or donar.

Exactly which transmission is in my truck? It's 2001 gmc sonoma, 4.3 4x4 crew cab SLS. I've heard some years are interchangable?? Does anybody know which? And I've also heard it was put in some silverado's (with 4.3???) and corvettes...is this interchangable with my truck as well?

I've been checking out all the boneyards in my area but can't find any 2001-2003 which i'm pretty sure are all the same transmission..

If anyone could tell me if I could grab one from a blazer or s10 from earlier years or even like I've heard silverado or corvette please let me know! I've got about two weeks to get this done. Thank you!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: What transmission does my CC have stock?

Post by HenryJ »

You need a 4L60E from a 4x4

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

car-part.com might shed a little additional info on what fits from other models. Takes a little research and reading between the lines.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:You need a 4L60E from a 4x4
& it needs to be 1998 or later 2 piece bell housing. :wink: Forget about the Corvette trans.

Steve
Last edited by killian96ss on Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerms
Regular
Regular

Post by Jerms »

I knew that much henry I guess I was asking if there was a more specific tag I should be looking for and if any of these other transmissions would fit my truck. What I heard today at a well known yard was that the 2001 is not interchangable with a transmission from another year. They said that usually means it had problems.

I'm sure a 4l60-E from a 2wd won't bolt right up. But what about one from a yukon/silverado (2001) I might be able to get one of those. Anybody else have any information I would greatly appreciate it.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Just a word of advice, make sure if you get a used transmission you get one with a warranty. These transmissions are all prone to failures after 80K+ (yes I know that is not always the case YMMV)or so across all platforms it shipped in. You will pay twice as much for a rebuild but will end up with a stronger built and warrantied unit.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

The 4L60E has to be 98 or later (2 piece bellhousing, not 1 piece), must be from a 4wd (4wd has a longer output shaft than 2wd), and the trans should be from another S-series because the full size 4L60E will have different valve body components. You can still use a full size trans, buy you might need to alter the factory trans programming to dial it in. It is also wise to compare electrical plugs on each trans to make sure your harness will plug in with no problems. I have never heard anything bad about 2001 4L60E's and they should interchange just fine with other 4L60E's made after 1998.

Steve
Jerms
Regular
Regular

Post by Jerms »

I've heard from several sources now that 2001 is not interchangable with any other years. The issue I'm having with my transmission is apparently very common. It has been a known issue since before the 700r4 became the 4l60e. After years of complaints gm attempted to fix the problem after 2001 which might explain incompatability with newer transmissions but I don't see why I couldn't use one from an earlier year.

The good news is I've found a transmission, the bad news is it SUCKS taking out the old one..