Popping in Transfer Case, Transmission or Differential?

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

formeremployee01
Regular
Regular

Popping in Transfer Case, Transmission or Differential?

Post by formeremployee01 »

I have been away for awhile and i find myself in need of some advice. My internet is gone and will be using a friends for this so please bear with me.

Started having problems with my 02 CC. More specifically, in 4 lo when turning either directions, i would hear a popping ( like a baseball card on your bicycle spokes ) Took out of 4 lo and into 4 hi still same sounds. Tried 2 hi only and same thing.

It does it only when 35% or more power is applied and turning. When going stright, you can give it as much as you dare and no popping. It will still change into all 3 4x4 modes, but still not right. I am unsure it it is actually going into either 4hi or 4 lo. I am fearing it may be something in the transmission or transfer case. I am not that good with transmissions or T- cases. Fluids all good.

Wondering what i can look for to figure out what is wrong.
T-case?
Transmission?
Differentials?
Please guys send me in the right direction if at all possible.

Before this started happening, i was towing some water tanks ( 2- 275 gallon tanks on a tandem axle trailer { close to 4700 lbs}). I would use the 4 lo to hold back when descending a small hill. Later i started just riding the brakes and not going into 4 lo. Have not towed since this started or driven hardly at all.

:surrender:
[size=75]1997 2.2 liter s-10 ls - 2000 Blazer 4.3l 4x4 - 2002 Crew Cab w ZR5 package
, 84 chevette.
Answers, I got lots of answers; Now if someone would just ask the correct questions.[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Popping in Transfer Case, Transmission or Differential?

Post by roadrunner »

I think I'd check the front CV axles first if it only happens when turning. Not that it couldn't be something else but that sounds the most likely IMO.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I would lean towards CVs as well.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

The torsion bar crossmember can hit each side of the frame which makes a popping sound. The t-bar crossmember is a floating design supported by 2 hangers with rubber bushings. When the bushings become worn out or when they are not tightened enough the crossmember can hit the frame when 1 t-bar is compressed more than the other. It happens mostly when you hit potholes or turn into a driveway. Cranking the t-bars beyond the factory specs will make the problem worse. Check each side of the t-bar crossmember for shiny spots were contact is being made. Replace and/or tighten the bushings as needed.

Steve
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by paintballrocker »

It does it only when 35% or more power is applied and turning
sounds like ball joints?
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Man, we are all over the board on this one! :lol: If, this was me, I would start checking the front end components and not worry about the TC, Tranny or diff yet. Make sure the TBs and front end components are good.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
bubbat

Post by bubbat »

My 2002 was popping while turning when backing up too, whether it was in 2 hi 4hi or 4low and like yours never going straight. Started checking the front end out and it turned out the upper a arm bolts were loose. Tighten them up and not a single pop.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

F9K9 wrote:Man, we are all over the board on this one! :lol: If, this was me, I would start checking the front end components and not worry about the TC, Tranny or diff yet. Make sure the TBs and front end components are good.
Sound advice. The main problem with diagnosing any noise situation is perception. Things sound different to different people. This is the main reason, along with different experiences, we are so diverse in our attempts to help. Without being there to hear/sense/feel a noise it is difficult to diagnose other than best guess based on past experience and understanding of what the person with the problem is trying to describe/convey. Unfortunately with any 4x4 vehicle a popping noise in the front end absent any qualifiers other than power application and directional change is still difficult to diagnose. We will try as best we can to help though. 8)
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
formeremployee01
Regular
Regular

Post by formeremployee01 »

Everybody, thank you for all the tips. I will be looking at the suggestions soon. However, i had things go from bad to worse.

Was backing the rig out of the garage and had a slight turn, Heard a pop, and now something under the floorboards is making a thump. Forwards or backwards. Tried switching from 2 wd to 4 wd with no change. Parked it and will start looking into as soon as i can. :rant:
[size=75]1997 2.2 liter s-10 ls - 2000 Blazer 4.3l 4x4 - 2002 Crew Cab w ZR5 package
, 84 chevette.
Answers, I got lots of answers; Now if someone would just ask the correct questions.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

"Pop" your nose underneath and looksie for CV grease all over the place. Green goo.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

I had a simular issue/sound. Turned out to be a blown front shock.
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]