Removing the Ashtray

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

npiper
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Removing the Ashtray

Post by npiper »

Hi, could anyone help me in how to remove the ash tray in our trucks? I took out the two screws holding the inside in and took it out but I don't know where to go from there. I see how it is held on but I don't know how to get it off. Thanks a lot guys!
PonyKiller
Regular
Regular

Re: Removing the Ashtray

Post by PonyKiller »

I took mine out its a huge pain in the ass, you pretty much have to take the whole lower part of the dash off to get to the rest of the screws. Eventualy I will get around to mounting my CB in that space.
npiper
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by npiper »

Yeah I finally got mine off. And you're right, it was a huge pain in the ass. I had to remove all of the lower trim and then kind of bend the trim around the controls back to get it out. Then I wanted to keep the frame of it and it was tough to get the ash tray out of it. Reminded me of putting in the headlights. Finally got it out by almost breaking the tabs holding it in. I don't even know how you would get it out without. But oh well. I got my CB installed by cutting out some of the rear brackets. Then I also got a new under dash trim piece (from a junkyard, out of a blazer) with two 12 volt outlets instead of the one to replace the one I'm losing from the ashtray. Very happy with the install now.
PonyKiller
Regular
Regular

Post by PonyKiller »

Got any pictures?
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

I don't remember removing the ashtray being that big of a deal. I took out the tray itself and the frame around it as well and mounted my CB there.
As you can see by the arrow, that is where I cut and filed the plastic lip so that it would snugly hold the radio in place. No screws, glue, clamps or anything.
Last edited by 14x4 on Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

14x4 wrote:.............it would snugly hold the radio in place. No screws, glue, clamps or anything.
You ain't wheelin' it hard enough if, it holds it snugly. You gotta hit those "Old Navy" outlet curbs a little harder. :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
PonyKiller
Regular
Regular

Post by PonyKiller »

F9K9 wrote:
14x4 wrote:.............it would snugly hold the radio in place. No screws, glue, clamps or anything.
You ain't wheelin' it hard enough if, it holds it snugly. You gotta hit those "Old Navy" outlet curbs a little harder. :lol:
Thats what I was thinking, hell even stuff thats bolted down in my truck comes loose sometimes.

Yesterday I un intentionaly aired out my crew cab. Probably got a good foot of air, and when the truck came down it landed hard, hard enough that the passenger fender flare got blown or ripped off? I'm sure the people in the other cars around me were like WTF is that retard doing.
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

F9K9 wrote:
I struggle to take the thing out by hand. It ain't going no where.
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
npiper
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by npiper »

PonyKiller wrote:Got any pictures?
I'll take some tomorrow morning and put them up.