Need Help with P0449 DTC

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Jackie Sherrill

Need Help with P0449 DTC

Post by Jackie Sherrill »

My engine light has been on for a week or so. The other day I was unable to fill my gas tank, it would just bubble out as I added gas (approximately 1/2 gallon). My scanner gave me a P0449 code.

With the ignition on, my test light illuminated at the wiring harness (one side of the harness) at the vent/purge solenoid located on the manifold. The test light also illuminated at the wiring harness for the vent valve back beside the charcoal canister. I replaced the vent valve and vent solenoid and still have the same problem.

The factory service manual says there may be a short to ground for the control circuit of the vent solenoid. I am not sure how to test for that. Also, how can I get power to the solenoid if it is grounded? Can some one help.

Also, what else could it be. I am no expert by any stretch, but it seems like I am getting power everywhere and with a new vent valve and solenoid, I am not sure where else to look.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Need Help with P0449 DTC

Post by HenryJ »

Do you have a multimeter? That is a much safer tool to use on our vehicles. Many low voltage/amperage circuits can be damaged by the draw that a test light can apply.

Test the voltage and make sure you have 12 volts at the vent solenoid. If you do then suspect the solenoid. It can be pulled and tested using a small 9 volt battery. It should hold vacuum and free flow if it operates properly.

There are a few good threads dealing with the P0449 code. Those might offer some ideas too.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK