Brake line sizes

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

SweetPee
Regular
Regular

Brake line sizes

Post by SweetPee »

Hey gang!
Got a simple question for you and I think i should know the answer but I don't.

My father has a s10 (1997 s10-zr2). At the rear axle there is flex line for the brakes that drops down to the axle. From the block on the end of the flex line, 2 hard lines connect. One driver side and one passenger side. Can you tell me off hand anything about the size of those hard lines the follow along the axle tubes? 1/4, 3/16, 6mm.... Any idea what the fitting size is that screws into the block at the flex line???

Anything you might know could be helpful!

Thanks!
SweetPee
Regular
Regular

Re: Brake line sizes

Post by SweetPee »

Oh and it has ABS...
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Are the rear axle brake lines damaged? Just curious why you need the line and fitting sizes.

Steve
SweetPee
Regular
Regular

Post by SweetPee »

Yes it appears so. My father had a flat, and I think he knocked the heck out of the line with the spare as he lowered it. The hard line that runs from the flex hose block to the passenger side drum is severly leaking at the fitting that connects to the block at the end of the flex hose.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Short of pulling it and taking it with you to the parts store, I wouldn't know how to find out, Eric. Gawd, I almost forgot about the rear drums on my '97. I had to plan on stopping a 1/4 mile from a stop light.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
SweetPee
Regular
Regular

Post by SweetPee »

Yea Reed I think that is what dad is going to have to do. I was trying to save him some time/trouble. He'll probably fix it like I fixed my front hard line on the jeep (long time ago) using a compression fitting and 8" section of line.

Just sucks that everytime something goes down with his truck... There is frik'n snow and 20* temps!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Ours all have rear disc brakes. I can not be 100% sure our lines are the same. Seems to me like the lines are pretty standard.
I would get a used line in good shape from your local auto parts recycler. That will save bending a new line to fit.
The hose is listed at NAPA as : Brake Hose End Type : Junction - (2) 3/8"-24 & Female - 7/16"-24
My guess is that the fittings are 3/8" - 24

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
SweetPee
Regular
Regular

Post by SweetPee »

HenryJ that is a good place to start and gives me an idea! Thanks!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

SweetPee wrote:.......Just sucks that everytime something goes down with his truck... There is frik'n snow and 20* temps!
Speaking of the temps, are you ever going to help him get that 13 year old fuel filter off? :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
SweetPee
Regular
Regular

Post by SweetPee »

F9K9 wrote:
SweetPee wrote:.......Just sucks that everytime something goes down with his truck... There is frik'n snow and 20* temps!
Speaking of the temps, are you ever going to help him get that 13 year old fuel filter off? :wink:
:lol: he said, "screw it!". So who knows!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

ΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔ
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
SweetPee
Regular
Regular

Post by SweetPee »

Well I think we know what we need. The line appears to be 3/16" OD and roughly 37" long on the rear passenger side and utilizes 3/8-24 fittings. Just a quick run through the napa site shows that part# WHS340 might work, though it might be a hair too long by as much as 3". Im sure though we will not be as efficient as the factory recreating the bends in the line so the extra length might be handy to have. We will see tomorrow when we make a parts run.