General Questions about the ZR5 Sonoma's/S-10's

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

nglauer

General Questions about the ZR5 Sonoma's/S-10's

Post by nglauer »

Glad I found this forum ! My name is Nick and I live in SE Ohio.

I'm hoping someone can answer some questions about a ZR5 Sonoma i'm looking at. I have owned a 98 GMC Highrider/ZR2 and an Original 83 S-10 Extended Cab, so i'm not new to the S-Series trucks... however I would love to learn some things about the ZR5 trucks, because they had the shortest life span of all the S-Series.... and i've never owned one

Here is the start of my story....

I planned to buy a blue ZR5 truck when they first came out, however I couldn't get into the "less" aggressive stance compared to my Sonoma ( I hope no one takes offense, but at the time no options existed to remedy this). The original concept that I remembered seeing online seemed bigger... I liked the looks, but wasn't sure what I would gain beyond seating....

Now, years later... I am contemplating buying a used 03. It's a yellow ZR5 Sonoma, very clean in and out with 97,000 miles. The stealership would like 8995.00 for it (actually they told me they were doing me a favor because it is listed online for 10,995). It's decent with a factory bed cover, original nerf bars, roof rack and hitch. It is missing the bed extender (I thought those came stock, but maybe it was optional). This is also a cloth interior unit and the radio buttons have started to show age, but the seat recliners are intact and the interior is fairly wear free. The only rust I have seen is mildly on the frame, and around the bumper ( I suspect from the ball that is mounted.. and other grime that has found its way in the folds of the bumper).

Now what i'd like to know...

I think this price is high, but it is clean? what are your opinions?

can you put bigger fender flares on these? who makes them? or can I go with a taller/wider tire and still look okay?

can you go with a larger tire, such as a 31" BFG AT like the ZR2's?

If I can lift it, what options do I have to raise it slightly, without costing me extra expense?

what is the largest size tire I can pull off with nothing more than a TB crank?

Can I get away with a dished wheel? I know my ZR2 didn't look right with to much offset (but that's my opinion). I doubt I would switch wheels, as I love the ZR5 wheels (I actually looked for a pair for my ZR2 back in 02, but they were very uncommon then and very expensive !)

CAN... I squeeze an atv in the bed with the tailgate down? and does anyone actually have a picture? This may be my biggest problem, as I do not want to pull a trailer just to haul my rancher around.

What kind of mileage can I expect? stock or with around a 31" -32" tire? and whatever type of lift needed to achieve this.

Any known problems with these models? I know the extended cabs had door handle issues.. and other little problems here and there... but they were basically unchanged for years. The crew cabs had a fairly short life span compared to the other cab/bed configurations thanks to the colorado/canyon trucks. Just curious if the CC's have any known rust issues? frame issues (is this frame shared with any other models?)

Anything else I should know? or should I avoid it and look for something else?

I would really like another ZR2 for a work vehicle.. but with a wife and two kids that ride with me time to time... that's just not gonna happen. I'd consider a ZR2 blazer.. or a super Rare ZR2 Jimmy.. but finding a nice unit is fairly rare.

Perhaps someone has pictures of one that looks like a ZR2 crew cab? or is selling one that'll save me the work lol.

My goal is to find a clean unmolested unit, with 60-90,000 miles.. without rust and well maintained. I don't care if it has leather, or cloth... as long as it fits within my budgeted goal of 8000 or less. I'd like to raise it a little, place slightly larger tires on it, and upgrade the fender flares to match the tires.. if necessary. I've also heard a few people mention wheel spacers during my searches today?

any answered questions are greatly appreciated, along with pictures you may be able to share. I will try and post a picture of my last truck. My goal is to get the same stance and look at my Highrider... but with the seating that'll fit my family, as it has grown since selling my beloved 98 :) Thanks again.

kind regards,
Nicholas
Attachments
sonomar.jpg
nglauer

Re: General Questions about the ZR5 Sonoma's/S-10's

Post by nglauer »

I removed my Leer cap and stainless Safari Light bar w/IPF lights before selling it... sure wish I had a picture of it with those on. This is actually the day the new owners picked it up. I'm not in the picture because I was a sobbing mess. The new owner was a nice little lady in her late 60's. She was just around 5' even in height and asked that I keep the cap and light bar, as the cap blocked her view out the back, and the light bar wasn't her thing. They didn't haggle me on price.. and I sold it for a price that I can't replace it at :( . I actually tried to buy it back a year or so later... but she loved it to much to give it up lol. I sure miss it, but I know it's well taken care of. Plus her and her husband drove 3.5 hours to get it, proof that I probably sold it for wayyy to cheap. I guess prices have just went up and down that much?

I swapped the headlights, added the factory light harness and switch, billet grill, goodmark steel hood, stainless nerf bars, stainless safari light bar w/IPF lights (kept it and have it boxed up in the garage) 99+ heated power mirrors (updated the wiring so the heated and power functions were intact), tinted the windows, cranked the TB, fixed the recliner handles, replaced the fuel pump, and other electronic sensors/alternator, distributor, fuel injectors, etc etc. I also shaved all the emblems and gave it a nice new shiney coat of Onyx Black PPG paint. Interior was like new and had the factory cd and tape player, however I upgraded all the factory speakers with high end Polk units, and added dynamat throughout the car to quiet it. I also put new BFG AT's on 4000 miles prior to selling it, along with a new exhaust.

If someone can help me figure out how to make a ZR5 look something like this... i'm all ears, cause i sure miss my baby.

Thank you all again,

Nicholas
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

nglauer wrote:...can you put bigger fender flares on these? who makes them?
No longer in production, there is only one set out there that I know about and those will fetch a premium price.[/quote] ...can you go with a larger tire, such as a 31" BFG AT like the ZR2's? [/quote]No. They have more room up front for tires and turning.
If I can lift it, what options do I have to raise it slightly, without costing me extra expense?
A body lift is the only real choice for a "small lift"
...what is the largest size tire I can pull off with nothing more than a TB crank?
the stock optional 29" tire.
Can I get away with a dished wheel?
Not really. You need the clearance that a stock wheel offers.
CAN... I squeeze an atv in the bed with the tailgate down? and does anyone actually have a picture?
Yes, but beware the tailgate cables.
What kind of mileage can I expect? stock or with around a 31" -32" tire? and whatever type of lift needed to achieve this.
13-15 mpg city at best and 15-18 mpg highway on a good day. That is if it has the 3.73 gears with 31" tires, or 3.42 ratio and stock tires.
Any known problems with these models? ...Just curious if the CC's have any known rust issues? frame issues (is this frame shared with any other models?)
Quite a few problems, mostly ball joints and typical s-series stuff. Lots to read about all over this forum. Rust, no. Same frame as the extended cab pretty much.
Anything else I should know? or should I avoid it and look for something else?
Overall a great truck, but look around here and decide for yourself.
Perhaps someone has pictures of one that looks like a ZR2 crew cab? or is selling one that'll save me the work lol.
You're a couple months too late for my old truck. Check out the reader's rides for waht you missed.

Look hard at the MML (Marvelous Mystery Lift) That makes a sweet truck!

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
nglauer

Post by nglauer »

Thanks Henry, I just read a little about the MML, but I couldn't find the pictures. Also, perhaps a stupid question... but will the body of a ZR5 drop onto the rolling chassis of a ZR2? If so I might have a very inexpensive lead on a low mileage wrecked truck... without frame damage.

Is the MML kit sold all together, or just a list of items to search for? I can't wait to look at all the pictures. I wanted one of the ZR5's really bad when I heard GM was going to make one... I even went to the hassle of having the dealership get one in for me, only to be turned off by the little tires, small fender flares and narrow stance. Now that my situation is different, it's looking more attractive to me.

1. because I can buy one for much less than a crew colorado/canyon
2. I know the 4.3 is a proven motor.. and i'm not sure about the 5cyl's in the col/can's
3. I miss my truck enough that I want to recreate it as a 4 door :)

Thank you again, this seems like a great forum.

Nick
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

nglauer wrote:...will the body of a ZR5 drop onto the rolling chassis of a ZR2?
It has been done a few times. The only current truck that I know about is Greg's truck. Look for a red ZR2 crew cab here and on ZR2USA
There is also one for sale in our classifieds: ZR2 crew cab

MML is a method, not a kit. The flares are not an option anymore, but the cuts can still be made.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
nglauer

Post by nglauer »

Can the ZR2 fenders from a Blazer be modified to fit? I think I can pick up a used pair from a friend for around 100.00 for the set (granted to two small front bumper sections are missing. I have no problem cutting and molding on these, I've worked in a body shop before and feel fairly confident that I could modify them (assuming they can be made to fit on that bubbled bedside).

Thanks again for the help.

p.s. curious why you sold your truck?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

nglauer wrote:Can the ZR2 fenders from a Blazer be modified to fit?
Probably not. The fronts require the larger fenders and inner fenders that are on the ZR2. The rears are also going to be quite a bit larger and you would likely mutilate the mounting points altering them for the Isuzu fender bulge. If I were going to try it , I would seek out the last set of Skidz flares as my first choice. My next look would be to try the late nineties Ford F150 Bushwacker extend-a-fender or pocket flares. No one has done it, but I still think they might be an option.
curious why you sold your truck?
I needed a bed 8" longer to haul the wife's TW200 and two more cylinders to pull me along over 9500 ft.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

nglauer wrote:Now, years later... I am contemplating buying a used 03. It's a yellow ZR5 Sonoma, very clean in and out with 97,000 miles. The stealership would like 8995.00 for it (actually they told me they were doing me a favor because it is listed online for 10,995).
Now what i'd like to know...

I think this price is high, but it is clean? what are your opinions?

My goal is to find a clean unmolested unit, with 60-90,000 miles.. without rust and well maintained.
I won't lie... in my area its hard to find a nice crew (or any vehicle for that matter that has some age) with that mileage that isn't unmolested and actually taken care of. And by saying this, that price really isn't out of line for my area. I had looked at a bunch of crews and even when looking at some you could tell there were abused and a piece of trash and they were asking 8k for them with at least double the miles I got mine with. I finally found one with 61k miles on it for 10.5k and I lived with it.

I was in your boat though. I own an extended cab 95 s10 that I eventually SAS'd and after 224k miles on it and michigan winters the body is disintigrating and wanted something 4-door. I keep my vehicles for a long time so I will still have this by the time I have kids I'm sure. Just thinking ahead of a more passenger friendly vehicle. The 95 is now my winter beater to keep my crew looking nice :D Still getting used to not having to jump into my vehicle though!
nglauer

Post by nglauer »

I'm still at a loss, i'm not sure if I should bite on it.. or continue to search. I prefer the look of the Sonoma over the S-10 when it comes to the ZR2, however the ZR5 the S-10 has a little tougher look to it. I went back and looked at it again, but i'm worried about hauling the ATV. Not so much that it won't work... but that it wouldn't work while towing a trailer. I plan on making a few trips each year to the Hatfield McCoy trail system in WV with my ATV, and a small trailer with a few on it. I believe having the tailgate down will interfere with the jack on my trailer while turning. Same if I want to tow the boat and haul the ATV.

I've been strongly against the colorado and canyon trucks since day one... however the extended cab model would offer me the kid room in the back seat, along with the fullsize bed. I just can't seem to find one of those for a decent price either. I'm not one to buy a first model year either, and the only decent prices i've seen on one were for first model year units.

I just keep scratchin my head, I feel like i'm at a loss. Darn GM, why didn't they just make a crew cab ZR2? I loved the "almost" fullsize feel of my old truck... and a crew model with the regular bed and wide stance would have looked great. Oh well, back to google searching. Perhaps i'll find someone with a creative way of hauling an atv in one of these that'll allow the use of a trailer at the same time.

Thanks again,

Nick
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I don't know where you live since it is not listed in your profile. Terrain can play a part in this decision.

All you say sounds very familiar. There is no one who was more dedicated to their truck than I. ThunderII was everything I needed and wanted, until it came time to haul another motorcycle. Up to that point it did nearly everything I wanted it to do. It did struggle a little to pull my trailer over 9000ft. That was a worry, but nothing that I did every day. When time came to haul another motorcycle, that was the straw that broke the camels back.

If you plan to haul an ATV in the back quite a bit, look for something else. There will be no way to pull a trailer with an ATV in the back. The tailgate will hit the tongue when to traverse even a curb cut. I looked for solutions to haul with the gate closed and it all came down to too much added weight for the rack with a very high center of gravity. Add to that a lack of power and braking to make for a bad situation.

I too looked to the next step. The Colorado and Canyon platform. I didn't care for them much like you, but after a harder look, they are pretty darn good. There are lots of improvements over the S-series platform. Still it is a small truck and you are looking at a big job. And then there is the premium price attached. They are in demand ,and demand a premium right now.

No one is more of a small truck guy than I. I have boasted many times the value of a narrower track and having room to move around on the road or trail. Agility to maneuver in parking lots and switchbacks. Better fuel mileage for a daily driver. I was cozy in my little truck.

Where do we look? The Toyota has a good reputation. Mileage is attractive. The bed is bigger. Still a small engine and the interior feels cheap after owning a Chevrolet. After looking at the prices again, I think they are over priced for what you get.

Now what? Well, I have watched more than I can count go fullsize. All were in the same dilemma. Growing family, haul bikes or ATV, tow a trailer , each had their push. Everyone says you can get better mileage than our s-series. Well that did not pan out yet. You might get close, but more likely slightly less miles per gallon. The room is VERY nice. Lots of space. The ride is comfy. Can you handle driving a Suburban? I never though that I would. My Avalanche (T3) is still working on replacing ThunderII. It has a way to go in building confidence. It has been a very long time since I had my 1973 3/4T Chevy 4x4 on 36" buckshots. Lots of good times in that old truck. Still it had been a conscious decision to drive smaller trucks over the last three decades.

Some things will be easier in a fullsize and some more difficult. It all comes down to what you must get done. For me having the family and our bikes was the priority. Two more cylinders and a bigger bed.

What influenced my decision?
The 5.3L engine is tested and shows to be a very dependable engine with reasonable mileage. The 1500 suspension and chassis is durable. Parts for this platform are readily available and inexpensive. Aftermarket support is good. Parts interchange across ten years of manufactured vehicles. Price. I wanted to stay under 10k for my upgrade.

Look a little harder at what you want. Be realistic. I think from your description above, you are looking for a fullsize.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Glassjaw
Regular
Regular

Post by Glassjaw »

sorry for the late post. I Bought mine about a month ago. 2002 LS, it has every option BUT the ZR5 package. 64,000 miles, heated leather, CD and tape deck, undercoated like crazy. I ended up paying 9500. i dont think 8995 was all that bad. but thats just my 2 cents
2002 Chevy Crew Cab LS
1993 S10 Standard cab, Short bed (summer fun) 5.7 TBI 4.10 rear 700r4 Stage II 2 inch spindles 2 inch springs 4 inch blocks