Factory Nerf Bars

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

botez2004

Factory Nerf Bars

Post by botez2004 »

Does anyone know where to get a set of factory nerf bars from a zr-5? I'm looking for a set of bars but all I come up with are flimsy bars with cheap mounts. Does anyone make bars that are actually as rugged as the original models?? I'm looking for a set of black ones.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Factory Nerf Bars

Post by HenryJ »

The stock bars were aluminum and mount to the frame on studs that were rivet welded to the frame during assembly. If yours is not a ZR5 it will not be a simple bolt on install.

I used Westin Signature series bars. These mount to the body bolts. It is pretty easy to raise them with a body lift. the front mount can be fabbed from a piece of angle iron. The rear mount I altered and tied into the leaf spring bolt for reinforcement.
These bars are steel. I filled them with structural foam. This serves to strengthen them, reduce the moisture that could develop inside and also quiets them. They can tend to ring when rocks and gravel ding them. Foam filling eliminates that. This may also have served to retain the plastic steps better since I have heard of others losing those.

IMO, they were far stronger than the ZR5 nerfs.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
botez2004

Post by botez2004 »

Mine is a zr-5 and has the studs on the frame. For some reason the previous owner removed them. Does the westin bars have mounts available? Or do you have to fabricate your own.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

They come with mounts for the stock configuration. If you want stainless steel, check ebay. I see them selling for $160 shipped. Some sets for even less.
:lol: Check S-10warehouse on ebay too RH ZR5 nerf $100 shipped that is a start. Car-part.com might find a set too.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

botez2004 wrote:Does anyone make bars that are actually as rugged as the original models?? I'm looking for a set of black ones.
I Still Have These In My Garage.... viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7959

Located In northern Va. They Weigh About 90Lbs Each But I Can Get A Shipping Quote If Your Interested
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe