How do I remove the bed on my CC?

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

stukapilot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How do I remove the bed on my CC?

Post by stukapilot »

I'm going to replace the fuel pump on my 2001 CC. I was told to remove the entire bed, how do I do it? I dont see any carriage bolts in the floor, and I'm Rhino coated..........
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: How do I remove the bed on my CC?

Post by HenryJ »

I have found it to be easier to just drop the tank. I never did understand why people say lifting the bed is easier? :crazy:
IIRC. The fuel pump is partially under the back of the cab on our trucks. Pulling the bed may not help at all?

Just drop the tank. Siphon out any excess fuel. Drop the driveshaft if you need some extra room. Pull the straps, disconnect the filler hose, fuel lines and connector. Not too bad a job.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
stukapilot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by stukapilot »

O'kay, thank you, I'll just drop the tank, and your right, the entire pump is under the cab. I think the people who own a stardard or extended cabs have everything exposed with the bed removed.
raven2510
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by raven2510 »

Yes, the pump is exposed on the extended cabs. When mine went bad I unbolted the bed, tilted in back and changed it. It took like 1hr.
1999 Chevy S10 ZR2
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

I know this thread is a bit older, but to help others to not suffer...

Another advantage of just draining and dropping the tank, instead of taking the bed off, is that the ground lead from the fuel pump is routed to the rear of the truck. It is affixed to the frame, along with the lights ground, and since you disconnect this to get the bed free you risk chasing a false problem if you attempt to 'test' the pump prior to putting the bed back. To all reading and contemplating, just drain & drop!
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

WileyHunter wrote:I know this thread is a bit older, but to help others to not suffer...

Another advantage of just draining and dropping the tank, instead of taking the bed off, is that the ground lead from the fuel pump is routed to the rear of the truck. It is affixed to the frame, along with the lights ground, and since you disconnect this to get the bed free you risk chasing a false problem if you attempt to 'test' the pump prior to putting the bed back. To all reading and contemplating, just drain & drop!

Your 100 right! I removed my bed from my truck when I replaced it with the new one. I went to start the truck and it wouldnt run. I had to go back and make sure i reconnected the ground lead for the lights and that then allowed me to start the truck and move it. I highly recommend dropping the tank when doing the pump as I have done both now, and its MUCH easier to drop the tank. Getting to the bolts is a PITA for the bed and you also need two people to lift it up. The fuel tank is not very big and you can probably drop it and do the work by yourself.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ