Where is my transmission fluid going??????

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

stukapilot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by stukapilot »

I'm losing about 1 quart of transmission fluid a month, it's not on the ground and the bottom of the truck is clean and dry............ :rant: Although the HVAC system seem's to be operational, I did lose AC. Have plenty of heat but no cooling, are they related?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Where is my transmission fluid going??????

Post by HenryJ »

Could be a couple things.
First is a high priority! Read the sticky on the transfercase switch! If that fluid is in the vacuum system, you are screwed. Plan on a couple thousand to fix it if it is really bad.

Second, is check the fluid level in the transfercase. If the seal is bad between the transmission and the transfercase ,the transfercase will over fill.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
stukapilot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by stukapilot »

I pulled the vacuum lines off the transfer case switch and they were dry, no fluid came out, I'll try the transfer case fluid level next and let you know, Thanks!
stukapilot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by stukapilot »

Well, I pulled the plug on the transfer case fill, and out shot about a quart and a half of transmission fluid. How do I go about fixing this?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Pull the transfer case and replace the seal. Not a terrible job. Plan on replacing the output seal too.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
stukapilot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by stukapilot »

Is it still o'kay to drive until I can fix it? Was this a factory problem or just it's time to go?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Time to go.
Eventually you will run the transmission too low on fluid and over fill the transfer case to the point where it will puke fluid out the breather tube. This fluid will run down the right side exhaust and catch fire burning the truck to the ground.
No problem at all it is self curing. :loser:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
stukapilot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by stukapilot »

Nice smiley, Since I'm a loser, I'll find another S-10 forum site that's a little more civil. Please remove me from your membership list.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Don't get all butt hurt, it's the Internet. Brule is has a wealth of knowledge available to the members here. Sometimes he can seem brash, but it's more to get the point across to imply it's importance. Sounds like a pain in the butt problem, but from few s10 websites iv been on, they are full of young people (well I'm young too, 25, lol) who know not even a eighth of what Brule does. Much less the collective knowledge available at a key stroke here.

Heed Brules warning, or get the best insurance you can.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Jeez, take a joke. Here we go, Lord of the flies all over again...It is just the internet, don't take it seriously.
We always seem to get the people who post "how long can I drive it with this problem." Like everything else it will solve itself eventually. It may not be the desired conclusion though.

I meant the truck would be the loser. Drop me a PM with the word remove and , I will remove you if your feelings are that hurt. Then again maybe it is your wife posting again? :shrug: Either way, we can remove your information if that is what you desire. The easiest answer is to just not visit the places that don't make you happy.

You are indeed right. There are plenty more places to find information on the internet. Thank goodness!

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Good luck if you leave stuka. I've seen plenty more sites much more aggressive than this one. This site is pretty respectful for the most part. All ya really need is a little "skin" to endure a few well meant sometimes humorous pokes.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

My Wife's truck she uses on the mail route was doing the same thing several years ago. I found that the vent tube you see on top of this transmission
was stopped up. (This transmission is out of a different truck) I replaced it with a longer vent tube up to the fender well. I also found that the Transfer Case vent tube tee'd into one of the three lines from the transfer case switch. I ran a separate line for it also up to the fender well. That was several years ago and it has about 180k on it now. I never did pull the transfer case to replace the seal. I think the pressure building up in the transmission is what caused the fluid to bypass the seal. I could be proven wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.

The transmission in the picture is out of the Blazer. I vented it the same way when I replaced it 2 years ago.

James
2001 S10 Crew (wife's mail truck)
2002 S10 Crew, 2003 S10 Blazer
2006 K2500 5 speed