Rear Brake Job

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Rear Brake Job

Post by rlrnr53 »

Just finished replacing rear brakes this afternoon. Had trouble getting the calipers off, couldn't get the pistons to move. A long screwdriver and prybar finally got them off. The pins on the left side were free and moved easily, but the right side was stuck. An impact was needed to get the pins to move. Liberal amounts of HI-Temp grease should take care of the problem. Changed park brake shoes, rotors, and calipers as well. I hope that freing up the rear brakes will help fuel mileage,which hasn't been too good lately. Tommorrow will be State Inspection for the crew and the wife's Equinox. This completes the brakes on the crew, everything has been replaced on both ends. Now if I can get the milage up a little more.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: Rear Brake Job

Post by F9K9 »

Good deal! Those caliber slide pins need to be inspected regularly and cleaned and greased when necessary. If, they get pitted or corroded, you can pick them up at any parts store.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

The rebuilt calipers had a complete hardware kit with them. The worst problem was the pistons were stuck in the caliper. Now when I take my foot off the pedal, the truck will start rolling on it's own, without giving it any fuel.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

That ought to help with your mileage quite a bit!
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.