AC just stopped working.

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Glassjaw
Regular
Regular

AC just stopped working.

Post by Glassjaw »

When i bought my crew a couple months ago the air conditioning worked great. but i never needed it becuase it was right around 65 degrees. it eventually stopped working and i thought it needed charged. so i bought a recharging kit. surprisingly when i connected the hose the gauge shot up to the red with the HVAC controls on max air and the fan on 4. i watched the clutch for the compresser and it would kick on for about 3 or 4 seconds and then stop. i left it run for about 10 minutes and it did the same thing the entire time. I draind the freon and decided to recharge it that way thinking there was way to much in it. i barely had the button on the can pushed for 30 seconds and the guage shot way up to the red again. whats goin on here? Is the compressor bad?

the guage would only click on the low side. the only one i could find to fit was the one beside the canister behind the battery.
2002 Chevy Crew Cab LS
1993 S10 Standard cab, Short bed (summer fun) 5.7 TBI 4.10 rear 700r4 Stage II 2 inch spindles 2 inch springs 4 inch blocks
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: AC just stopped working.

Post by HenryJ »

You really need a proper set of gauges to diagnose this properly. One for the low and one for the high.
The low side will be higher if the compressor is not pumping. That is normal. It should draw down as the pump runs.
If the high side does not increase, there could be a blockage or the pump failing. Checking the orifice tube would be my first thought. If it shows debris, a new compressor is in your future. If it is clean, then just replace the tube, they are cheap. If you have to go that far, the system needs to be evacuated and the dehydrator / filter dryer replaced too.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Glassjaw
Regular
Regular

Post by Glassjaw »

the guage i bought was just the cheap one that came with the can. ill have to get a better guage set and check it again. Any reason for the compresser to only kick on for a couple seconds tho?
2002 Chevy Crew Cab LS
1993 S10 Standard cab, Short bed (summer fun) 5.7 TBI 4.10 rear 700r4 Stage II 2 inch spindles 2 inch springs 4 inch blocks
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Either the high or low limit switches can kick it out.
You may be able to rent a set of gauges? They are rather expensive to buy.
Both gauge readings will tell a better tale of what is happening.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Glassjaw
Regular
Regular

Post by Glassjaw »

ok thanks alot for the info. i dont think ill be able to get to it until this weekend tho. Ill post back what i find.
2002 Chevy Crew Cab LS
hootz
Regular
Regular

Post by hootz »

I have had good luck with Harbor Freight gauges. Here is a link:http://www.harborfreight.com/a-c-manifo ... 92649.html
I would not want to use them professionally but are good for home use.
2003 S-10 CrewCab..Mall Crawler Extraordinaire!!
Glassjaw
Regular
Regular

Post by Glassjaw »

NICE! theres a harbor frieght about 10 minutes down the road. i never really bought anything that was gonna get alot of use there. but for this it would save me alot of money. thanks for the link!
2002 Chevy Crew Cab LS