Fuel Pump

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

formeremployee01
Regular
Regular

Fuel Pump

Post by formeremployee01 »

I have had my 02 CC parked for a few months. With front brakes ($80.00), battery ($100.00) and fuel pump needing replaced. It just was not economical at the time to repair it. It only gets 10-11 mpg city. I was resurrecting an 84 chevette anyways (27 mpg).

Has anyone ever tried just replacing the pump itself? How did it turn out? Opinions? Facts? http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3097209

With $$$ being a factor and a crappy economy i am trying to get it back running before the snow flies.

I would like to go the Bosch or AC Delco rout, but i have to consider all options.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=977637
[size=75]1997 2.2 liter s-10 ls - 2000 Blazer 4.3l 4x4 - 2002 Crew Cab w ZR5 package
, 84 chevette.
Answers, I got lots of answers; Now if someone would just ask the correct questions.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Fuel Pump

Post by HenryJ »

You might get away with a pump install in the old module, however that will not upgrade the connector which is currently being blamed for the pump failures. You would have to solder and heat shrink the pump into the module and being very careful to properly attach the hoses to support the 60 psi developed when the pump is unregulated.
If you are really cutting corners here, how about picking up a used pump at the salvage yard? It might be as reliable a solution as retrofitting a pump?
Stay away from the Bosch and Carter pumps. They are indeed inferior.

Personally , I'd rather try to do it right the first time and never have to do it again (hopefully). The price for the Delphi pump is a tough pill to swallow for sure. I wish I had a "slam dunk" better idea. I just don't see one right now.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Here's another consideration for you:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/38036798 ... 3D1&_rdc=1
I've purchased items from this seller with good results and they also list the repair kit you mentioned for reasonable prices as well as a sender repair kit.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Geez! That is a good price. I'd give that module with the new connector a shot. At one sixth the price of Delphi, I could see rolling the dice for sure.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Fuel Pump

Post by F9K9 »

The Delphi pumps are now available at places like Advance for approximately 3 c notes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
formeremployee01
Regular
Regular

Post by formeremployee01 »

Ok. no way on bosch or carter. after reading about the pressure and heat shrinking, i am not going to "slice and dice" I think i will just suck it up and do the entire assembly. The ebay link definatly caught my interest. ! saw someone has bought from the seller, but has anyone bought "THAT" pump and used it before? any advice, suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.
[size=75]1997 2.2 liter s-10 ls - 2000 Blazer 4.3l 4x4 - 2002 Crew Cab w ZR5 package
, 84 chevette.
Answers, I got lots of answers; Now if someone would just ask the correct questions.[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

formeremployee01 wrote:Ok. no way on bosch or carter. after reading about the pressure and heat shrinking, i am not going to "slice and dice" I think i will just suck it up and do the entire assembly. The ebay link definatly caught my interest. ! saw someone has bought from the seller, but has anyone bought "THAT" pump and used it before? any advice, suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.
I have one on hand as an emergency spare but have not used it yet. My fuel gauge quit working a couple years ago so waiting for pump to go out. Cheap insurance at that price. I have bought several items from that seller with no problems including O2 sensors etc. Interestingly when I bought mine it was a delphi pump and not the airtex they are showing for your truck so I'm not worried about durability etc. At that price you could buy several of them and still be cheaper than many other pumps. I've never had a warranty issue with anything I've bought from them including pumps for a couple other vehicles. They're on my preferred seller list.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

My fuel gauge is out as well... most of the time. I noticed that after not running it much in the winter and leaving "summer" fuels in it longer, the gauge now works year round. Not sure if it is a coincidence but that is the only change I made. I haven't even added any mystery oil lately and after it not working for 2 years, it's worked for the past year!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Green, If your gauge quits again that seller I mentioned above sells gauge repair kits for our trucks as well. I have one of those on hand too. Been too lazy to put it in though as it requires dropping the tank and I've gotten so used to driving by the trip meter and the scan gauge II anyway.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I also drive by the trip and scangauge, even when the real gauge is working.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page