Swirls in the paint?

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Swirls in the paint?

Post by nebby58 »

I have noticed on a sunny day that I have very noticeable swirl marks in the paint on my truck. I noticed it after I polished my truck with an electric polisher. I figured it was just a temporary thing and it would go away, but it has been a couple of months and it is still looking as worse as it was before. Is there any way I can correct this without a new paint job? I am afraid to try to re-polish it because it could get worse. Any ideas?
"It says the install time is only a half an hour"-me
"Better add three more on top of that"-family
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: Swirls in the paint?

Post by F9K9 »

Pick up some 3M "Glaze" at a good auto paint store and follow the directions. It will have something on the bottle that it is good for removing swirl marks.

3M Glaze
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
riceburnr2005
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by riceburnr2005 »

Had that problem with my last car, i went with the wet sanding way. First time i had ever did it, but turned out great!! plenty of videos on youtube to show you how to do it. paint looked like glass afterwards..
U.S. Marines
2003 CC LS, indigo blue, Spectre Cold Air, OBX throttle body spacer, descreened MAF, hunter bull bar, BAJA off road lights, 15x7 Crager soft 8 wheels, 31x10.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires, cranked TB's, Daystar 2 inch shackles, 2" PA body lift, 1.5 inch spacers in the rear, Access TonnoSport Tonneau cover, reese hitch, carbon fiber front chevy badge, Lund bug deflector, roof rack from a blazer, Kenwood CD player, JVC 6 1/2 speakers.
ckholloway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Re: Swirls in the paint?

Post by ckholloway »

riceburnr2005 wrote:Had that problem with my last car, i went with the wet sanding way. First time i had ever did it, but turned out great!! plenty of videos on youtube to show you how to do it. paint looked like glass afterwards..
Nothing wrong with wet sanding as long as you have enough paint/clearcoat to wet sand. Using the 3m glaze is the way to go. The swirl marks are by the aggressive wool pad you have on your polisher. Try picking up a foam waffle pad.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
riceburnr2005
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by riceburnr2005 »

+1
U.S. Marines
2003 CC LS, indigo blue, Spectre Cold Air, OBX throttle body spacer, descreened MAF, hunter bull bar, BAJA off road lights, 15x7 Crager soft 8 wheels, 31x10.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires, cranked TB's, Daystar 2 inch shackles, 2" PA body lift, 1.5 inch spacers in the rear, Access TonnoSport Tonneau cover, reese hitch, carbon fiber front chevy badge, Lund bug deflector, roof rack from a blazer, Kenwood CD player, JVC 6 1/2 speakers.