The dreded C0265 Code!

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

rtgribble
Regular
Regular

The dreded C0265 Code!

Post by rtgribble »

Well on October 15th my ABS and Parking break light came on! Mind you shes 2004 Crew cab ZR5 and with 147,000 miles on her. They are mostly highway miles. So I went to my local garage and they pulled the code for free "thanks guys". The code description read " Elec Brake Module Relay Circuit has no power". Well I thought this is bizzarre. So today I replaced the machine screw that connects the ground from the Fuse termination block to the frame "the metal that the radiator attaches too accross the front", and I ran a second new ground to a stud coming our of the fire wall. All that I read had said at first check the ground. This light before this would come on and off every other day. I did purchase new front Timken Wheel bearings and the sensors today and I will replace them this week. If this does nto solve the problem I will have my EBMR "electric brake module relay" rebuilt by http://www.modulemaster.com. The guarantee them for 5 years after rebuild. so here is some pictures of what I did today in case there is some one out there with the same issues!

Enjoy.

On the Muskegon River MI
Removed old ground from front steel
Added second ground wire with crimped end
THHN wire oil / gas resistant
Shot looking back at the fire wall drivers side
Shot of front ground mounting stud finished

Well so far no lights! Well see if this works, and take care gents!
R. Tom Gribble
USMC 86-92
rtgribble
Regular
Regular

Re: The dreded C0265 Code!

Post by rtgribble »

Well that did not work! I had the lights come on today. Next Week I will be replacing my wheel bearing hubs / sensors at both locations!
R. Tom Gribble
USMC 86-92
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Be sure to consider the condition of the lubricant inside the wheel bearing. It can be a good indicator as to the condition. Wheel bearings are common weak point on these vehicles.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
rtgribble
Regular
Regular

Post by rtgribble »

HJ,

I will thanks! I'm just taking it step by step not doing to much to fast just incase some thing fixes it b4 I move on! Nice to see a forum dedicated to the ZR5 Crew Cab 4X4 series!
R. Tom Gribble
USMC 86-92
rtgribble
Regular
Regular

Post by rtgribble »

ok... dumb question! You said lubrication inside the wheel bearing. Are these bearings not sealed? Do my new timken wheel bearings need lubricated o na continuous basis?
R. Tom Gribble
USMC 86-92
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

They are indeed sealed and the lubricant is permanent. Removing the sensor will be a window to the interior.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
rtgribble
Regular
Regular

Post by rtgribble »

roger that "stating the obvious thanks"!
R. Tom Gribble
USMC 86-92
rtgribble
Regular
Regular

Post by rtgribble »

ok well the ground did not work..lol.. I replaced both frotn wheel hubs and all is well so far! Hmm keeping fingers "X"!
R. Tom Gribble
USMC 86-92
rtgribble
Regular
Regular

Post by rtgribble »

ok...ok.. breath easy! Now my lights did come on and of course they went off! Now before I have that kelsey-hayes until rebuilt is there another electrical componant I should check to see if its bad? After all it stated "Elec Brake Module Relay Circuit has no power" inwhich I'm thinking there is a lil elec relay I can change out prior to having the unit rebuilt! I hope you can help me out!
R. Tom Gribble
USMC 86-92
rtgribble
Regular
Regular

Post by rtgribble »

Ok... the Elec Brake Module Relay is now making noise up under the hood like its running! Now to make matters worse I was going to drive my truck on my annual fishing trip 8 hours away one way! Is this vehicle still safe to drive? Could I just pull the two fuses out and get it fixed later? Folks thanks for the help!
R. Tom Gribble
USMC 86-92
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Pulling the ABS fuse should disable the antiloc braking system. Wit it disabled, just bear in mind that it will not work. Sounds fairly simple. I used to disable mine while offroad, along with the SRS. I'd be comfortable with it.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:Pulling the ABS fuse should disable the antiloc braking system. Wit it disabled, just bear in mind that it will not work. Sounds fairly simple. I used to disable mine while offroad, along with the SRS. I'd be comfortable with it.
X2
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
rtgribble
Regular
Regular

Post by rtgribble »

Well I guess I could just let it make the noise..lol.. I will just need to use common sense when trying to break on wet pavement and inclimate weather conditions. From what everyone has said the truck is safe to drive mechanically I just have NO anti lock breaks! Thanks guys!
R. Tom Gribble
USMC 86-92
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

I drive mine with the ABS fuse under the hood pulled all the time. Braking is better on mud/snow/gravel with it disabled IMO. Just have to learn to ignore the brake and ABS lights on on the dash panel while running that way.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
rtgribble
Regular
Regular

Post by rtgribble »

roadrunner wrote:I drive mine with the ABS fuse under the hood pulled all the time. Braking is better on mud/snow/gravel with it disabled IMO. Just have to learn to ignore the brake and ABS lights on on the dash panel while running that way.
Thanks folks the fishign trip is still on and I dont have to make that phone call to say i have to put a stop to the trip!..lol.. I'll post a fish/truck pic when I return from NY! Thanks again!

Tom
R. Tom Gribble
USMC 86-92
rtgribble
Regular
Regular

Post by rtgribble »

alright! I'm so confused! I just looked at autozone just to find out how much a elec. brake control module relay is and found this? Is this correct? Where in the world does this go? I have looked at the fuse termination block under the hood found the huge blue fush, and the little fuse in the cab! but this cube fuse looks like nothing I have ever come accross!
R. Tom Gribble
USMC 86-92
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

This appears to be a standard relay used on several places on the truck.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
rtgribble
Regular
Regular

Post by rtgribble »

ok... hmm do you have any idea where else I can look to possibly find this critter?..lol.. I'm all over the net now into hour 3 looking to see if I can match it up wit ha location!!! thanks sorry to beat this to death!
R. Tom Gribble
USMC 86-92
rtgribble
Regular
Regular

Post by rtgribble »

ok I found this and I was wondering looking at this to me there is not other places for relays to be correct or I'm I WRONG?
R. Tom Gribble
USMC 86-92
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Leave it pulled until you get back to get it all sorted out. Mine's been pulled for years. It does stop better without ABS. ABS is a proven system, sometimes automakers just don't get it right.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
rtgribble
Regular
Regular

Post by rtgribble »

green02crew wrote:Leave it pulled until you get back to get it all sorted out. Mine's been pulled for years. It does stop better without ABS. ABS is a proven system, sometimes automakers just don't get it right.
Thanks! :bounce:
R. Tom Gribble
USMC 86-92
rtgribble
Regular
Regular

Post by rtgribble »

I pulled these off to take a look for any corosion and found none!

I think I'm going to replace these electrical connections next and leave the Kelsey Hayes unit for last!
R. Tom Gribble
USMC 86-92
rtgribble
Regular
Regular

Post by rtgribble »

I have noticed that I think this particular code makes the EBCM running. I hear a slight noise coming from the kelsey hayes part. So I do think I'm going to pull the 60 amp fuse out of the terminal block under the hood. I'm afraid with it continuously running it will make too much heat and cause further damage. I'm guessing my problem is elctrical "lol" and its leaving the circuit open and not letting it close thusly powering the unit. I know my light might not go off but at least it could stop me from damaging something else!!! Man I love my truck but grrrrr!!!!
R. Tom Gribble
USMC 86-92
rtgribble
Regular
Regular

Post by rtgribble »

..LOL.. ok i pulled the 60amp fuse out restarted the truck both lights still on. I then pulled the fuse out of the panel on the left side of the dash the ABS light was still on! So morel of the story is nothing has really changed!..lol..
R. Tom Gribble
USMC 86-92
rtgribble
Regular
Regular

Post by rtgribble »

ok spent some money got all the wires traced and checked all was good there from my yocal garage! I sent my module into module master and the light went out! so far so good hope I did not just curse myself! Thanks folks! Happy Holidays!
R. Tom Gribble
USMC 86-92