Monroe Gas-Matic LT shocks

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

bbgot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Monroe Gas-Matic LT shocks

Post by bbgot »

My 02 CC got new shocks yesterday. It had 120k miles and still had the factory shocks. They were all still OK, but one of the rears blew up on me after driving down a few caliche oil company roads last weekend.

I replaced all four with Monroe Gas-Matic LT's from Advance. $20/each with lifetime warranties. After a few miles, one of the shocks was a dud, and did start leaking, but Advance replaced it under warranty. I've always put top-of-the-line shocks on my vehicles, but I really don't have the money to do that this time. I'm really happy with these shocks, they are a bit stiffer than the factory, but I like that in a truck. I would definately recommend these to anyone who can't afford to go with a premium shock.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: Monroe Gas-Matic LT shocks

Post by F9K9 »

bbgot wrote:My 02 CC got new shocks yesterday. It had 120k miles and still had the factory shocks. They were all still OK, but one of the rears blew up on me after driving down a few caliche oil company roads last weekend........
Wow, dumping my oem shocks was one of my first mods. I had less than 1000 miles on them. I felt they were junk from the git-go! I did step out of a ZR2 with Bilstiens and into the CC so, that may have been why I hated them. I think any new shock would be an improvement over the stock ones that came on the CC. Especially ones with 120K on them. Nothing wrong with Monroe either. I'm running a $25 Monroe HD steering stabilizer on my heep. Put it on there after a $70 Old Man Emu one took a dump in under a year.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
ckholloway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Re: Monroe Gas-Matic LT shocks

Post by ckholloway »

bbgot wrote:My 02 CC got new shocks yesterday. It had 120k miles and still had the factory shocks. They were all still OK, but one of the rears blew up on me after driving down a few caliche oil company roads last weekend.

I replaced all four with Monroe Gas-Matic LT's from Advance. $20/each with lifetime warranties. After a few miles, one of the shocks was a dud, and did start leaking, but Advance replaced it under warranty. I've always put top-of-the-line shocks on my vehicles, but I really don't have the money to do that this time. I'm really happy with these shocks, they are a bit stiffer than the factory, but I like that in a truck. I would definately recommend these to anyone who can't afford to go with a premium shock.
Monroe is a great oe replacement shock. They will never be a performance off road part but great for stock replacement. I have been selling them for years and to have a bad one out of the box is very unusual, just chalk that up to bad luck. Do not let anyone talk into Monroe gas magnums. They are way to stiff for the s pickups and you would hate them. Good luck and make sure you keep your receipt for the warranty.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

bbgot wrote:

I replaced all four with Monroe Gas-Matic LT's from Advance. $20/each with lifetime warranties. After a few miles, one of the shocks was a dud, and did start leaking, but Advance replaced it under warranty.

Did advance install them? The way it sounds here they did, correct?
bbgot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by bbgot »

No, Advance didn't install. I did it myself in my driveway in about an hour. Shocks on these trucks are pretty easy to do.
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

My misunderstanding then. I actually just went and picked these up last night after reading this. Needed new shocks. Dont know about installing them in my driveway now, pretty freak'n cold here.
Dumb question, but do you need to lift the truck to change them? Almost seems like one wouldnt need to by the way things look.
bbgot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by bbgot »

No, you don't need to lift the truck, but you do need to remove the front tires to access the lower shock mount bolts.