what kind of oil should i run for best performance and mpg

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

what kind of oil should i run for best performance and mpg

Postby 2002ZR5 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:48 am

what kind of oil should i run in my 2002 crew cab with the 4.3L to get the most for my money in performance and mpg what brand and what weight? thanks
2002ZR5
Regular
Regular

Re: what kind of oil should i run for best performance and m

Postby HenryJ » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:21 am

Driving conditions? Terrain, frequency, mileage, traffic conditions? Include you age and "need for speed".
Modifications? Tire size, gearing, intake,exhaust, anything you have done to improve mileage or performance.
Do you do all you own service work? What is your "normal" service interval?
Budget?
How long do you plan to keep the vehicle?
How many miles are on it?

Need to have a pretty clear picture of the conditions under which it must operate.

Here is a very good read to get you started: All about motor oil

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Postby hegel » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:01 pm

I am reviving this old thread because i am going to be doing my 1st oil change soon (this weekend) and want to get off on the right foot. the filler cap says 5w30 but things may have changed since the truck came out. are people running full synthetic? or is that a waste of money? how about diesel oil. when i worked at schucks people would buy delo diesel oil because it had a higher zinc content and was better for the cams. In my jetta TDi I run mobil 1 turbo diesel truck oil 5w40 full synthetic and i run intervals of 10k... have been for over 100k. soo..... what are you all running for oil.

thanks,
Steve

EDIT: when i say people buy the diesel oil because its better on the cams i am talking about people with high performance gasoline engines buying this (subaru's nissans, camaros)
hegel
Regular
Regular

Postby HenryJ » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:01 am

For street duty I run a full synthetic and use extended change intervals. For offroading and conditions that may contaminate the oil quickly , I use Rotella 15/40. Motorcycles all get Rotella too. HenryJ gets Castrol 20/50.

Here is a very good article to read: All about oil

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Postby ApproachMedium » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:33 pm

Something tells me to stay away from diesel oil in your GM truck. The VW I could see this, I have quite a few friends with TDi Jettas and playing all kinds of oil games. My S10 hated synthetic. It leaked oil before thought but was 10x worse with synthetic since its so well refined. if your truck is sound and has no leaks a good flush and switch to synth should be fine. I ran Napa Premium 5w30 in my truck pretty much from the day i got it (190k) till the day all the oil leaked out a few months ago when the cooler lines got crushed. I always added LucasOil to my changes and even with leaks, low oil/no oil etc the motor still ran fine.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Postby F9K9 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:53 pm

HenryJ wrote:................For street duty I run a full synthetic and use extended change intervals. For offroading and conditions that may contaminate the oil quickly , I use Rotella 15/40.......
Fred Sanford wrote: "Oh, this is the big one! You hear that, Elizabeth? I'm comin' to join ya, honey!"

The word synthetic grabbed me and suddenly my entire world began to fall apart....... :roflmao:
"For those who have fought for it, FREEDOM has a taste that the protected will never know."
GUIDE TO SEARCHING. (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)

"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Postby HenryJ » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:56 am

I ate the blue pill, but it is fake. "Synthetic" is a standard now. It does not mean it is truly synthetic base. It just has to meet those standards. My wife's car seems to handle it just fine :)
I am not sure if I would be running it in the S-10 if I still had it. That leak prone rear main might deter me.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Postby AVTekk » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:06 am

Only use what weight is on the cap. If you have higher mileage, use a high mileage (HM) oil. It will have seal conditioners and additives to increase film strength when the oil is hot. Better brands will also have more anti-corrosive, acid-neutralizing, and antiwear additives.

I def wouldn't run diesel oil in a newer gas engine. We used to run it in old cars like my 62 Dodge because they had flat tappet cams and needed the extra zinc but the manufacturers removed it from the newer oils because it was messing up the sensors. Now I run regular oil with ZDDP additive.

A 4.3L is pretty old technology so it wont care as much to change the weight, altho I still wouldn't do it as the thicker oil won't flow as well when cold. If you had a newer engine with variable timing then you absolutely do not want to change the weight. The engine is using the oil as hydraulic fluid to control cam adjustments and the thicker stuff will ruin the engine. Thats why the new cars use such low weights as 0W20.
AVTekk
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Postby killian96ss » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:29 pm

I'm using Mobil 1 synthetic in both of my S10 Blazers and my Impala SS with good results. By good results I mean no leaks, good gas mileage, and it keeps the inside of the engine very clean. I also ran Mobil 1 in my Crew Cab before I totalled it. Your climate, driving style, and driving conditions really are important when choosing oil. Right now I'm running Mobil 1 European 0W/40 in my 96 Impala and my 88 S10 Blazer because it offers great low temperature and high temperature protection plus it has the highest amount of zinc of all their oils for reduced wear. I run their 10W/30 High Mileage in my 05 ZR2 since it has 150k and a slight oil pan leak. I also use K&N oil filters on all 3 vehicles since they have one of the highest flow rates and lowest micron filtering of all the oil filters out there. They also have a 1" end nut on the end which simplifies removal and installation in tight areas. I use K&N part # 2001 an all 3 vehicles. This is the tall filter. Part # 1001 is the short filter, but I don't see any reason to use the short filter unless you have a vehicle with limited access which is not the case on any S-series I've seen. Royal Purple and Mobil 1 also make good oil filters. Stay way from anything cheap like FRAM! For normal driving you can go 10k miles with synthetic so it's easily worth the extra money. If this is your first oil change make sure you don't over tighten the oil pan drain plug which has aluminum threads. 20 ft pounds is the most I would go. You will need 4.5 quarts if you use the short filter or 4.75 to 5 quarts if you use the tall filter. Wal Mart is by far the cheapest place to buy oil and it is also much cheaper to buy the 5 quart jugs than individual quarts.

Steve
2005 ZR2 Blazer / Mods- Spectre CAI, Descreened MAF, Shaved Throttle Blade, 31" Goodyear Kevlar MT/R's, Black Rock Rims, MSD Street Fire CDI & Super Conductor Wires, Accel Cap, Rotor & Coil, Flowmaster 30 Series, Gibson Tailpipe, ES Bushings, Goodridge Brake Lines, Power Slot Rotors - 1996 Impala SS / Mods- Too Many To List - 1988 S10 Blazer / Mods- Too Many To List - 2001 S10 Crew Cab 4x4 / Mods- Too Many To List *Wrecked 12/06*
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Postby Torskdoc » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:00 am

I've been using the Walmart brand Full synth in my 02 since I got it back in '07 with 39K on it. Now 87K. But my driving has decreased drastically in the last 3 years. About 3500 miles a year about 1/3 of that towing a 18ft travel trailer. So it gets a yearly oil change with 10W-30. AC Delco PF-52 filter. It doesn't leak, or use any oil. In the 95 Jimmy I use the high Mileage Dino oil with a PF-52 also. Leaks or uses about a pint during the year. Mileage on that for the wife is about 3500 also. Being on a fixed income is a bitch sometimes, I'd rather use Valvoline or Castrol, but I can't afford it.

Agree on FRAM. The only good thing to use them for is targets for a Bravo-51 "KATE" @ 500 Yards! Or a M1911A1 @ 25 yards. They do fly quite a way with the right round hitting them. LOL
2002 S-10 ZR-5 Quad-CAB
1995 GMC Jimmy 4Dr. SLT
Torskdoc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Return to Stock Crew Cab