HELP....Popping noise *solved (t-bar sockets)

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

JORSWIFT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HELP....Popping noise *solved (t-bar sockets)

Post by JORSWIFT »

Hello all,
I have had my ride for about a year now. 2002 GMC ZR5 Sonoma. Well, the past couple days I have had some loud popping or cracking noise from what sounds like the drivers side tire area. I am not sure if it is a CV joint or another suspension component. But it makes the noise when turing and or going over bumps. Can you please help? Thanks.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: HELP....Popping noise

Post by HenryJ »

Lube the torsion bar sockets. Then watch for a bad ball joint.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
JORSWIFT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by JORSWIFT »

HenryJ wrote:Lube the torsion bar sockets. Then watch for a bad ball joint.
Where might that be found and lube with what? Thanks.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

HELP....Popping noise

Post by fallvitals »

I adjusted my torsion bars when lifting. Not too long after they started popping and cracking constantly, and every condition. I lubed mine before, I never noticed an improvement. But if I am correct, you take some white lithium grease in a spray can, and spray it into where the torsion bars go into the cross member or whatever. Just all around that whole.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

It is difficult to properly lube the t-bars without removing them, but sometimes it does help to spray some lithium grease into the t-bar socket located on the lower control arm. It also helps to spray some grease on the other end where the adjuster is. GM used some really heavy duty grease on the t-bars before they were inserted into lower control arm. The only way to do the same is to remove them which just seems like a pain in the arse. The t-bars can also make a knocking noise when going over bumps or pulling into driveways because the floating design of the rear t-bar crossmember can allow the whole thing to move from side to side hitting the frame. If you have shiny spots on your frame next to the t-bar crossmember you know know whats making the knocking noise. Adjusting the t-bars for more height usually starts the problem or makes it worse if its already there. The 1st gen S10's have a fixed t-bar crossmember that doesn't move. Not sure why GM changed the design, but I suspect it was to prevent binding and reduce wear. I have always wondered if the 1st gen S10 crossmember will fit the late models.

Steve
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

Don't forget about the hood hinge popping. To rule it out you can put a piece of stiff foam under the hood right in front of the hinge and shut the hood, drive around and see if the noise is still there.

http://forums.s-10crewcab.net/viewtopic ... sher#p8869

James
2001 S10 Crew (wife's mail truck)
2002 S10 Crew, 2003 S10 Blazer
2006 K2500 5 speed
JORSWIFT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by JORSWIFT »

Well, you guys are dead on. Got some white lithium grease, sprayed it on and NO MORE NOISE! thanks.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

HELP....Popping noise

Post by fallvitals »

Glad it worked for you! lol, no luck when I did it! Hope I can fix my brakes this weekend though.