Exhaust Leak

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Exhaust Leak

Post by rlrnr53 »

A couple of weeks ago, my daughter borrowed the crew to visit some friends. When she returned I could hear an exhaust leak. When I got time to check it, I found that one of the bolts on the converter flange had broken. I figured about 20 minutes. WRONG. It took about 5 hours and I don't know how many drill bits to get the old bolts out. I guess the heat cool cycles had hardened the bolts a bit. It took so long because I couldn't get in a position to put much pressure on the drill. I ran both batteries and had to recharge both. If I would have had access to a torch it would have been easier. The bolts used have a serrated shoulder and are pressed in tight. After drilling the bolts out, it was just a matter of getting some 7/16 x 1 1/2 grade 8 bolts and cleaning the old gasket off. After getting everything, it only took about 10 minutes to put it back together. I used muscles today rhat I haven't used in years, tommorrow is not going to be too good. A bottle of Aleve will probably be my best friend for the next couple of days. And for thos tha wonder I didn't change the exhaust to the rear because It still looks good, plus that was about $200.00 I didn't haveto spend, besides, I like it quiet. I got over the noisy exhaust about 20 years ago. Hopefully Monday I can have the state inspection done for another year.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Exhaust Leak

Post by Horsehammerr »

I had a similar problem about three years ago when my cat clogged and I had to remove it. One bolt snapped off. So when I put it back in ( Minus the Clogged Up Guts ) I put in a new gasket, tightened up the one bolt and clamped the broken bolt side with a three inch 'c' clamp and away I went. The plan was for a new cat but , when I was informed the part and installation would cost $ 300, I decided the clearer tone in my exhaust note was a better deal. It's been clamped like this for three years with no leak or any other problem. Oh yeah ! There are no smog laws in my Ozark county. Only safety inspections. :rock:
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Exhaust Leak

Post by rlrnr53 »

We don't have smog inspections here either, but a clamp wouldn't pass the visual inspection. When I tried to remove the remaining bolt, it broke off. There was about 75 to 80% of the bolt had broken, it only took a few pounds of pressure to break it off.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]