Hissing sound from HVAC

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

When I put my ac on face and feet mode it puts out like a hiss. Like there is a clog or somethin?
[size=75]02 ZR5 CC, SFA D44 front, D60 rear, 40" IROKs, np200 2nd t-case. SOLD
05 F-350 CC FX4 Diesel, 7" lift 37" toyos, 14.18 1/4 mile ET[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

warnoffroad wrote:When I put my ac on face and feet mode it puts out like a hiss. Like there is a clog or somethin?
Check the vacuum pots on near the throttle pedal, one of the lines may have come off.

Should be just a vacuum leak, follow the sound.

BTW it is normal to hear a hiss as you change functions , that is just the vacuum operating the different doors in the HVAC. It should stop when the desired position is reached.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

HenryJ wrote: BTW it is normal to hear a hiss as you change functions , that is just the vacuum operating the different doors in the HVAC. It should stop when the desired position is reached.

Thanks. The hissing sound doesnt stop.
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

warnoffroad wrote:
HenryJ wrote: BTW it is normal to hear a hiss as you change functions , that is just the vacuum operating the different doors in the HVAC. It should stop when the desired position is reached.

Thanks. The hissing sound doesnt stop.

mine was doing that over the winter. it appears it was stuck and would not move. I would have to turn the unit off for a few minutes and turn it back up and then it would work. I meant to take it in but by the time I could, It was warm so it worked fine. If it does it again this year, I'll take it in.

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

Thanks that worked! They gave me a free oil change and It just rolled over to 5000 so Im gunna take her in for a check up, so ill have it checked out while im there. I wonder what theyll say. I hope they dont yell at me and same my truck is unsafe, and that I was a morron for doing what I did like they did to jim or whoever it was that has the 2" BL and 17s.
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Mike H. »

warnoffroad wrote:I wonder what theyll say. I hope they dont yell at me and same my truck is unsafe, and that I was a morron for doing what I did like they did to jim or whoever it was that has the 2" BL and 17s.
Oh I doubt it. I think they will utterly SPEACHLESS! Take a camera with you and get of pic of their faces: :shock: :o :!: :?
[size=75][url=http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst?.dir=/&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst%3f%26.dir=/2002%2bGMC%2bCrew%2bCab-Spacers%26.src=ph%26.view=l&.view=l]Yahoo Photo Pages[/url]
(previous) 2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab
(now) 2004 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 Crew Cab[/size]
Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Brad »

That was me.

Brad
Freinds don't let freinds crank torsion bars.
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

I just noticed a hissing sound from my HVAC control panel this morning on my way to work. The CD player was off (rare thing!) and I kept hearing this noise that sounded like white noise coming through a speaker. I thought my CD player was shot, but when I finally parked, I realized it was coming from the HVAC controls. When it's in vent mode (A/C, too...I think) - no hiss - works fine. When it's in heat or defog or combo modes, it still blows through the vents as well and MORE through the vents than where it's supposed to (based on the control setting). The different fan levels work and the Hot/Cold still works, too. What Gives???? I'm not too worried- warranty and all...it's raining today and in the 50's, if that helps.
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

NTXCrew wrote:I just noticed a hissing sound from my HVAC control panel this morning on my way to work. The CD player was off (rare thing!) and I kept hearing this noise that sounded like white noise coming through a speaker. I thought my CD player was shot, but when I finally parked, I realized it was coming from the HVAC controls. When it's in vent mode (A/C, too...I think) - no hiss - works fine. When it's in heat or defog or combo modes, it still blows through the vents as well and MORE through the vents than where it's supposed to (based on the control setting). The different fan levels work and the Hot/Cold still works, too. What Gives???? I'm not too worried- warranty and all...it's raining today and in the 50's, if that helps.
Mine did this before I sold it. Turned out the transfer cas vacuum switch was bad, and that caused the vacuum to draw t-case fluid into the havac control and kill it. The fix involved a new vacuum switch, removing and cleaning all of the vacuum lines, vacuum reservoir, new hvac control unit, new vacuum actuators for each different mode on the door controls, and about $1800 later it was fixed (out of warranty) then I traded it in on a used Jeep TJ (wrangler in the states) which was 2 years newer, and seems like it wasn't built by monkeys. :D I am much happier now.
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]
rider

Post by rider »

mine just started doing the same thing a month or so ago when the temps were in the single digits. when i would change from the dash vents to the floor, it would hiss. when i start up the truck in the morning, the switch would be on the floor vents, but blow out of the dash only. my truck's an '03, i bought it new last summer... sucks i have to take it in so soon :?

rider

NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

talked to a auto tech today. it thinks it's just a small vacuum line that got pinched or pulled away from the HVAC control unit. possibly from when i was messing with my aftermarket stereo. no biggie.
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
ViperVengeance
Regular
Regular

Mine was doing the same thing last week

Post by ViperVengeance »

Mine was doing the same thing last week. I took it in to the dealer and they replaced the Fan Control Module under warranty.
2002 Sonoma Crew Cab ZR5, Indigo Blue Metallic, PA 2" Body Lift, Rancho 5000 Series shocks, Low Temp Thermostat, K&N Filter, Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 31 10.50 R15's
jeremy
Regular
Regular

Post by jeremy »

it seems to me that chevy took some short cuts on the vacuum system cause i've had my int the deal for the vacuum 5 times in the past year,

it sucks that the 4wd shares the same vacuum cause every time, sofar, the vacuum becomes inop so does the 4wd

gets frustreaing after a while.
ludwis
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Heater Control Again!!!!!!!

Post by ludwis »

I just had my heater control replace again for the FOURTH time. The last time I was in I pointed out the TSB about the bad transfer case switch leading to fluid being drawn into the sytem which causes the switches to fail. The symptoms of this failure is that the controls are stuck blowing out the vents and a hissing sound coming from the selector knob.

See my earlier post about this from Dec 3,03

http://www.s-10crewcab.com/phpBB2/viewt ... er+control

If this one breaks I'm going to call a lawyer and have them replace the truck, fortunately PA has a lemon law....3 chances to fix a major failure and then they have to buy back your vehicle or replace it.

That ought to get their attention...
2003 S10 Crew 4x4
Mods: 1.5" Front Spacers - GM Valley Hitch - WeatherTech WeatherFlectors - Bilstein Shocks - Boise Spring works 2" rear spring kit - Truxedo Toneau Cover - PopLock tailgate lock - Hypertech Tuning - SKIDS Flares - 2" Body Lift - ZR2 Axle upgrade
hubof
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by hubof »

mine had been doing that for a while. took it to the gmc dealer and they replaced the ac compressor (said it was bad). it stilll hisses, but not nearly as bad as it used to. now after reading this forum, i wonder if i should check the vacuum.
[size=75] 02' Sonoma Crew Cab ZR5 - 2" BDS Body Lift - Bilstein Shocks - 31x10.5" Wildcountry XTX Sport - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights (soon) - Custom Flowmaster Dual Exhaust - Kenwood MP3/CD Player - 8" Bazooka Sub w/ builtin amp - custom grill insert - blue instrument panel - K&N Cold Air Intake[/size] -
chelsey12

Re: Hissing sound from HVAC

Post by chelsey12 »

When I put my ac on face and feet mode it puts out like a hiss. Like there is a clog or somethin?
Check the vacuum pots on near the throttle pedal, one of the lines may have come off.

Should be just a vacuum leak, follow the sound.